Code of Conduct

Default Has my nose matured?

Something is off as of late. I am starting to think my nose has matured and I am getting old (39). I took my wife to Ulta beauty last night and I perused around the tiny men's cologne section with my coffee bean bag in tow and sampled quite a few scents. Something has changed with my nose, I use to absolutely love scents like the classic Aqua di Geo, L'eau De Issey By Issey, and a few others and I also could not stand any of the newer Paco Rabanne scents like Invictus. It all now it smells "too sweet" to me. I've been on the hunt to replace my spring and summer scents and the only one I have picked up a fresh bottle of Terre d'Hermes Eau and Visionair Midnight Blue lately. I would like to add a few more to my rotation but I feel so lost. We plan to hit Nordstrom's and Macy's today to do some major scent shopping and I would like to bring something home that is reasonably priced, (Creed and TF are out of the running for now). Something clean, fresh, suited for my age, and office friendly. This use to be a no brainer, but now that I have been out to do some sampling for the first time in 5-6 years something has changed and I do not have a sense of direction anymore.

Default Re: Has my nose matured?

It could be your body or perhaps the weather? However, I don’t know about Issey Miyake or Aqua di Gio being considered sweet…
    If you’re really looking for something clean, conservative and office friendly, then maybe just stick to something like Bleu de Chanel.
    Currently wearing: Zen for Men by Shiseido

Or maybe it is an age thing. Try an older scent palate and see how you go. Instead of blue de Chanel try pour monsieur. Instead of Dior sausage, try Dior eau sauvage.

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    It could be your body or perhaps the weather? However, I don’t know about Issey Miyake or Aqua di Gio being considered sweet…
    If you’re really looking for something clean, conservative and office friendly, then maybe just stick to something like Bleu de Chanel.
    Bleu de Chanel smelled absolutely rancid on me for some reason.

There are probably a few things at play.

Mainstream scents used to have more depth than they do today for a few reasons - scents becoming overly simplified and linear, ingredient guideline/restriction conformity by designers and cost reduction of what goes into the bottle.

You may be finding fragrances you are used to too pedestrian and want a scent with more richness or depth of character. (Nothing against simple scents, many are wonderful)

Much of what is available by designers has become quite homogeneous and if it isn’t a screechy amber woody (Sauvage) it’s probably an ethyl maltol loaded sweetie (Wanted). They are everywhere and with all the copycating and lack of creative direction with many designers it leaves little wiggle room for the perfumers to create something that sets a fragrance apart from the crowd.
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Patrick / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / YSL Pour Homme HC

Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
    Or maybe it is an age thing. Try an older scent palate and see how you go. Instead of blue de Chanel try pour monsieur. Instead of Dior sausage, try Dior eau sauvage.

I'm wondering if it's partially physiological as well. I spoke to a younger gal working at Ulta last night and she happened to catch what I was wearing and said she has never smelled anything like it and it was an amazing "dad scent". It was an older partial bottle of TdH Eau d'orange verte that I discovered I had and was testing to see if it was any good still. I think I had picked it up a long while back to add to my oak moss collection.

Taste does change with age. No one likes Guinness when they are teenagers, it is all alcopops and cider with blackcurrent.
    Maybe scent does a similar thing.
    Maybe this is just an excuse to go hunting a rare and elusive scent, a journey to take years.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PotassiumSnow View Post
    Something is off as of late. I am starting to think my nose has matured and I am getting old (39).
    The senses constantly evolve.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by PotassiumSnow View Post
    Something is off as of late....This use to be a no brainer....something has changed and I do not have a sense of direction anymore.
    FIrst off, don't worry! We all go through different phases, and it's no biggie at all. Second, (and I can say this with a smile since I'm quite a few years older than you) you're not in your "fraternity days" anymore, so it's natural that your tastes, er nose, will change somewhat. And third, for recommendations that are "suited for your age, and office friendly", there are several good designer fragrances that fit those requirements and aren't in the Creed/TF price range, you'll just have to let your nose, and your wife decide.

I'd recommend (in no particular order):

(1) Check some of the Chanel line. I know you didn't like BdC, and it's not one of my favorites either, but give (as was already mentioned) Pour Monsieur a try. Also, try the various Allure Homme flankers a try, like Allure Homme Sport. Personally, I favor the Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

(2) Guerlain, if available at your stores. Guerlain Vetiver is always good. And Guerlain Homme EdP is good.

(3) Dior. Eau Sauvage EdT is a classic for a reason (not talking about the new stuff, Sauvage), and the Eau Sauvage EdP is excellent. Give the new Fahrenheit "Cologne" a try (not the EdT or EdP), very nice for summer. Also, though I wouldn't call it "fresh", the new Dior Homme 2020 - a very nice office friendly scent (don't be put off by the hard core Dior Homme original rhetoric).

(4) Acqua di Parma. The originila, Colonia, is most certainly a classic, and one you should try. Plus, there are several in the AdP line to choose from that may appeal to you.

Also, a lot of folks really like the Prada L'Homme fragrance and its flankers.

Anyway, those are some suggestions that I can readily think of. Good luck, and enjoy your sampling.
    Currently wearing: Blend 30 by Dunhill

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.B View Post
    No one likes Guinness when they are teenagers
    I did!
    White Light, White Heat!

Some of the modern mainstream is indeed very sweet. Plus tastes change, as others were saying.

I think that some of the Hermes offers are fresh, light, but also long lasting. In addition to the orange vertes, also the Jardins (like sur le nil). I think H24 as well, though I smelled it only quickly at the airport.

cacio

Yeah, mine has definitely evolved. I used to like the classics and now they seem too fuddy duddy for me. I recently acquired a vintage YSL Jazz and can’t believe I used to wear it. Not my taste anymore. Same with Antaeus and Bel Ami.

Sometimes I think that in my 20s I wanted to feel more mature and sophisticated. Now that I am (in theory) those things, I prefer scents that are more playful.

There's a reason why kids drink fruit juice & soda, while adults drink espresso & wine. I'm sure your nose has changed, and now you may appreciate scents before you thought you'd never touch.

Basenotes Plus

Tastes change. Try Platinum Egoiste on your trip to the mall.

Basenotes Plus

Funny you say this because I'm also 39 and have found my tastes have changed just in the past year. I am enjoying much more bold, complex scents than I used to and scents that are much more unisex. I used to have a love/hate relationship with galbanum and now I am loving it. I bought Chanel Bel Respiro and a bottle of No. 19 vintage extrait. A lot of scents I own are now starting to smell a bit sweet and I no longer know if these will be able to age with me.

I've been at this hobby for over 12 years already so I'm attributing these changes to age and not to my nose evolving. And I'm not complaining about the change in tastes - I'm really enjoying being able to wear and pull off a lot of scents I didn't used to. It's like this hobby has started all over again!

I agree with Mark. B.'s suggestion - try some more classical, mature scents and see if they work.
    Currently wearing: Aura by Thierry Mugler

Also tending to second/agree that both tastes tend to mature or evolve anyway over time.
    But also that quite a certain amount of contemporary scents do tend to be (excessively? too?) sweet, at least by BN standards.

Common Lackey

If you're hitting the department stores, try Lalique's Encre Noir a L'Extreme. (Not the original Encre Noir.) It's a woody vetiver that manages to be quite light in texture. And it's inexpensive too.

My tastes have been changing over the last couple of years too, leaning more toward lighter, more transparent scents than they used. I think it's normal to evolve, both as you age and as you become more experienced with perfumes.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I'd say it can be a number of things but I don't know if age is really to blame itself, more like the passage of time and evolution of tastes.

When I started as a 16 year-old, I actually hated sweet, and this is because I was introduced to fragrance via all the old drugstore things that weren't sweet, like Canoe, Brut, English Leather, Wild Country, then graduated to names I knew from my older siblings like Polo and so on. The modern things of the 90's that classmates wore like Nautica, Tommy, and Curve were gross to me then.

Into the 2000's, I had a fling with ozonics and fruity things like cK Crave, Kenneth Cole New York, and Fierce Cologne, but also really loved leathers and ambers from Avon and a host of other older things like Aramis and the like. My taste has always been disparate on a good day, and downright contradictory on a bad one. Never fully embraced sweet though. Hated iris, hated, gourmands, etc.

Then something happened. I started really wading into modern juices full of ethyl maltol and blue notes, and the initial aversion was there again. Hated the tonka overloads, hated all the sweet gourmand notes. Early reviews I've since edited to reflect a changed opinion would have shown that. Sweet still isn't my absolute favorite, but I can boogey down with some Y, Eros, or Invictus now and then.

As for older designers vs modern ones, there is a bit of objective quality that has been lost over time.

Somewhere along the line someone realized that continuing to use natural oils was unsustainable at the rate the market was growing and designed synthetic alternatives, long before restrictions came into place. Evernyl and polysantal were made to stretch oakmoss and sandalwood respectively, not replace them. Been in use each since the 80's. Then IFRA started gaining more ground.

The restrictions aren't on naturals themselves, just the individual chemicals they contain that causes allergies and sensitization to other things like sunlight. Yeah, it's a heavy hand to outright ban or restrict to unusable levels when a simple warning label and natural-free substitutes could be offered (like milk vs oat milk at a coffee shop). That is only part of the story though.

Designer Perfumes were typically sold around cost (slightly below, at, or above) and used as aspirational items to coax clothing or accessory sales. They were expensive displays of the brand's artistic direction accessible to the classes below the usual buyer. Everyone just started buying the perfume and ignoring the clothes, so formulas were gradually shifted to profitability via cost and market research.

Today's designers are made to cost as little as possible, cast the widest possible net, and bring in the most profit in the shortest period possible, then be discontinued if they slow momentum and replaced with whatever the marketing research says is the next biggest thing. Perfumes have always been subject to copycatting even back in the "good old days" though, hence all the No. 5 smell-alikes and Drakkar smell-alikes et al. All that's changed now is the creative risks are taken at a higher margin with lower production aka lower risk, hence "niche" exists.

TL;DR: Your tastes probably reflect your passage through these market changes more than the aging of your nose. You may just be tired of smelling what you've been made to smell for the past 20 years unabated, whereas someone like me has gone the opposite direction, from not wearing designers at all for most of my life, to suddenly embracing them. More changes may yet lie ahead, and that's what makes this hobby fun!
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader

Basenotes Plus

Hmm,

IMO, some lighter Fougere's smell suited for the Summer. I would recommend ordering a sample of Houbigant Fougere Royale and tell us what you think. As long as the Summer heat isn't too high (like 100+), then this can work. I put a link here where you can order a sample and the price. $180 is the lowest price I can find on this. It's worth every penny and more in my opinion.
    https://www.luckyscent.com/product/5...e-by-houbigant

Also, an older palette might also enjoy Vetiver, which is grassy and green. Some Vetivers are light and fresh while some are dark that have an almost incense effect underneath. One of the more Summery and light options you can try would be Mugler Cologne, which smells highly similar to Creed Original Vetiver, but is extremely affordable. You might be able to find Mugler Cologne at a counter somewhere, although it's no longer put out in the more prominent display areas, you might have to ask for it in order to smell it. Also, just look around counters for anything labeled "Vetiver". I would advise looking for Guerlain also, as they have many mature and affordable fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceRF View Post
    Tastes change. Try Platinum Egoiste on your trip to the mall.
    This is a good one. Also, in the same scent pattern, although less metallic is Calvin Klein Eternity. If you prefer the super-clean metallic effect, then Platinum Egoiste is going to be your pick. Also, another one in this scent pattern is Maison Margiela "At the Barber's", which has a leather note that stands out. So, all 3 of these smell virtually the same to me in their base and heart notes, but deploy a signature note that stands out a bit more, except for Eternity. It seems like Eternity is the original that these other two played off of. All 3 are very good fragrances worth trying out.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    Then something happened. I started really wading into modern juices full of ethyl maltol and blue notes, and the initial aversion was there again. Hated the tonka overloads, hated all the sweet gourmand notes. Early reviews I've since edited to reflect a changed opinion would have shown that. Sweet still isn't my absolute favorite, but I can boogey down with some Y, Eros, or Invictus now and then.
    I started on the other end of mostly liking the super sweet fragrances, but the more I try the more I'm leaning towards fresher scents. However, what's funny to me is the 3 you mentioned are also some of the few I still wear.

As for the OP, if AdG is too sweet I'm not sure what I could possibly recommend. Depending on what you found rancid in BdC, I feel like the Parfum could be an improvement

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    FIrst off, don't worry! We all go through different phases, and it's no biggie at all. Second, (and I can say this with a smile since I'm quite a few years older than you) you're not in your "fraternity days" anymore, so it's natural that your tastes, er nose, will change somewhat. And third, for recommendations that are "suited for your age, and office friendly", there are several good designer fragrances that fit those requirements and aren't in the Creed/TF price range, you'll just have to let your nose, and your wife decide.

I'd recommend (in no particular order):

(1) Check some of the Chanel line. I know you didn't like BdC, and it's not one of my favorites either, but give (as was already mentioned) Pour Monsieur a try. Also, try the various Allure Homme flankers a try, like Allure Homme Sport. Personally, I favor the Allure Homme Edition Blanche.

(2) Guerlain, if available at your stores. Guerlain Vetiver is always good. And Guerlain Homme EdP is good.

(3) Dior. Eau Sauvage EdT is a classic for a reason (not talking about the new stuff, Sauvage), and the Eau Sauvage EdP is excellent. Give the new Fahrenheit "Cologne" a try (not the EdT or EdP), very nice for summer. Also, though I wouldn't call it "fresh", the new Dior Homme 2020 - a very nice office friendly scent (don't be put off by the hard core Dior Homme original rhetoric).

(4) Acqua di Parma. The originila, Colonia, is most certainly a classic, and one you should try. Plus, there are several in the AdP line to choose from that may appeal to you.

Also, a lot of folks really like the Prada L'Homme fragrance and its flankers.

Anyway, those are some suggestions that I can readily think of. Good luck, and enjoy your sampling.

Funny you say that,

I picked up Terre d'Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver and Savage last night along with samples of the di Parma's! The TdH Vetiver I couldn't help, it was a must have! I forgot just how good Hermes was. I didn't tell the wife I put it on in the store while we went to a few stores she wanted to look at, she asked a few times and I told her finally and she said "I like that" so I took that as my signal to buy it 110% for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    If you're hitting the department stores, try Lalique's Encre Noir a L'Extreme. (Not the original Encre Noir.) It's a woody vetiver that manages to be quite light in texture. And it's inexpensive too.

My tastes have been changing over the last couple of years too, leaning more toward lighter, more transparent scents than they used. I think it's normal to evolve, both as you age and as you become more experienced with perfumes.
    Most of the department stores here all carry the same stuff (Macys, Dillards). I usually stick with Nordstroms. I've never seen Lalique, or Guerlain frags locally, but I have been reading about them quite a bit!

So many great replies in here! Keep them coming! I'll try to respond back to everyone as I go! I'd like to have 3-5 solid summer scents at a minimum!

The following may suit you

Acqua di Parma Essenza
    Drakkar Noir
    Dior Homme Cologne

I would also recommend trying the entire Eau Sauvage line.

Good luck with your hunt.
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Drakkar Noir / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Patrick / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / YSL Pour Homme HC

Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel