Code of Conduct

Default What would you wear if you were a diamond industry executive?

Last Thanksgiving, I upgraded my Xfinity plan and now I have lots of movies streaming in from multiple channels. Many that I've never seen before.

There's a little gem called Flawless (2007) starring Demi Moore and Michael Cain, set in 1960s Britain. Demi is a female diamond executive turned jewel thief. Dark wool suits, white shirts, polished shoes, tweed, hats, gloves, coiffed hair, red lipstick, and cigarette smoking indoors. "Take Five" by Dave Brubeck playing in the background. Demi wore pantyhose in the closeups. It was invented in 1959, but not widely available until later. I remember my mom wearing seamed nylon stockings in the 1960s, and I got my first pair of pantyhose in 1970 at age 10.

Question: if you were a diamond executive, what fragrance would you have worn? Probably Chanel #5 or Shalimar, but that's predictable. Anything else? Here's the trailer to set the mood:

Flawless (2007) Official Trailer #1 - Demi Moore Movie HD - YouTube
    “The Unscented Life Is Not Worth Living.”
    Socrates
    (Re-worded by lauermar)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: What would you wear if you were a diamond industry executive?

I'd wear Absolute Santal by Clive Christian
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Maybe same fragrances like now, just the nearest niche/designer exclusive/artisan and/or vintage equivalent of all fragrances visible in the current lineup (including most of the ones shown in the "previously owned/used to own" and/or "tested" sections)
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Flawless...enjoyable film

Chanel No. 19

Nicolai New York Intense
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Bois Du Portugal

Basenotes Plus

A number of years ago I was seated at a table with a husband and his wife who both worked in the diamond industry. Strangely neither wore any diamonds and chose to remain without my adornment, although I think the wife wore pearl earrings. The husband said they didn't like to draw attention to themselves or make themselves an easy target (mostly for people smoozing up to them). They were much older and not young and flashy. Really nice couple and so down to earth.
    Avatar picture by Fougasse (Cyril Kenneth Bird), 1944
    Currently wearing: psy_cou by Nomenclature

Basenotes Institution

Whatever I normally wear.

Quote Originally Posted by lauermar View Post
    Question: if you were a diamond executive, what fragrance would you have worn?

Hoax and monopoly is our business... and business is so damn good! by Artificially High Prices.
    Or If he doesn't buy you a big one, he doesn't really love you by Totally disinterested advices.
    Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel76 View Post
    Hoax and monopoly is our business... and business is so damn good! by Artificially High Prices.
    Or If he doesn't buy you a big one, he doesn't really love you by Totally disinterested advices.
    Oh haha! Very funny!

As a woman, I will say I don't necessarily think that a man doesn't love me if he doesn't buy me expensive jewelry. (It doesn't necessarily have to be diamond jewelry either. Frankly, diamonds have become a bit cliche, and lots of other gem stones are nice too! Also...I'm a big fan of stores like Pandora too that mostly sells silver jewelry with no gem stones.)
    However, if I know a man can afford things like expensive jewelry and he never buys me any, alarm bells might go off in my head!
    Also..alarm bells especially go off in my head if the guy never even really asks me what I like, never buys me expensive jewelry, but then also subjects me to "trying" things that I hate, like sushi!
    Another point is that something might be expensive, but that doesn't mean anything either if people don't want it!
    To me..the price of sushi is artificially high to the point of being ridiculous because I can't force myself to eat it!

update: Actually..I was just thinking about this again and it occurred to me that the scenario I keep thinking about could actually also be a perfect bonding moment, and actually almost like something straight from a Romantic comedy!
    Like, I was thinking if a woman is being really sweet and lets the man order for her in a restaurant (which BTW used to be traditional anyway apparently) and then she eats the food and it makes her really sick because it's disgusting..like they could actually bond over that! Because then the man could be all sweet and apologetic and buy her flowers and candy (and maybe jewelry lol) and give her a really nice "I'm sorry" card or something, and then the woman would be all touched and they could go out and everything would be okay. And they could maybe even laugh about everything later because sometimes stories about people throwing up are funny! XD (Not at the time..but maybe much much later.) Isn't that sort of like "Meet-cute" or whtever they call it in Romantic comedies? I'm just saying..the more I think it over the more I think that type of situation doesn't necessarily have to turn out badly..couples can bond and become closer in stressful situations too..plus they learned something! I don't know..I think maybe sometimes the problem is just attitude and how people handle certain situations too..and if the two people are even two compatible like-minded individuals to begin with!

This begs another question which is: what is the perfect fragrance for a Romantic comedy scenario? lol
    Last edited by LadyDragonFire; 21st June 2021 at 05:34 PM.