Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Do you have to wear a new top/shirt etc when wearing a fragrance?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Not if I was wearing something light the day before

5 13.16%
  • Yes, always

9 23.68%
  • Yes, but not for fragrance reasons - I just like wearing clean clothes!

14 36.84%
  • Don't care - yesterday's Aventus shirt can be worn again today with Jicky for all I care

10 26.32%

Default Wearing clothing from the day before with a new fragrance

I want to see the spread of purists and don't-cares!

To clarify - 'new' = freshly laundered.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Wearing clothing from the day before with a new fragrance

I like to wear a clean shirt every day, not for fragrance reasons.

Interesting, I've thought about this before but I think my response falls slightly outside of the options: I do change my shirt every day, but I like to layer with long sleeve button ups/sweaters/etc, so I tend to assign a particular fragrance to a sweater/long sleeve when it comes through the wash, and I'll either add to it with the same fragrance or wear something similar to layer with it - i.e., if I sprayed Montale Black Aoud on a sweater, I could use that to "layer" with something else on my shirt for at least a few days. Then either when the sweater gets dirty or it accrues too many fragrance layers, into the wash it goes. I'm a big fan of layering fragrances, so that's the appeal for me.
    “I have often observed that [scents] cause an alteration in me and work upon my spirits according to their several virtues; which makes me approve of what is said, that the use of incense and perfumes in churches, so ancient and so universally received in all nations and religions, was intended to cheer us, and to rouse and purify the senses, the better to fit us for contemplation” - Montaigne
    Currently wearing: Greyland by Montale

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Yes, but not for fragrance reasons - I just like wearing clean clothes!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Clean clothes guy.

I just like to wear clean clothes, but I do feel it's lovely when a jacket or piece of outerwear takes on a quiet aura of fragrances past.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Basenotes Plus

Both for me, I like wearing clean clothes, but I also don't want two fragrances clashing.

I want to enjoy my current fragrance with no interruptions.
    Make It Happen!

Current Top 10 Of All Time
    1.Encens Mythique d’Orient
    2.L’Heure Perdue XI
    3.Le Monarque II/Sultanate Of Oman/Pierre de Velay No. 1/Black Cashmere/Pearl Moon/Semi Bespoke 21/Parfum Royale No.1
    4.Candy Aoud/(Dior) Vetiver/Santal Noir/Great Britain/Correspondence/Dasman/Symphonium/Al-Khatt/Nuit de Bekelite/Richwood
    5.Les Sables Roses/Mon Patchouly/1996/EL/Vision In A Dream Psychedelic/Argentium Halo De Lune/Torc/FDB Velvet Amber
    6.L’Heure Mysterieuse XII/Au Hasard/#laislablanca/ Luci Ed Ombre/Tabac Rose/Russian Tea/Oud & Ambre/Oud & Pink
    7.Opus VI/Prolixe/Jump Up & Kiss Me Hedonistic/Alseif
    8.Le Monarque III/V/MAAI/Malesia/Absolue Pour le Soir/Ganymede
    9.Fetish Parfum Pour Homme/Dhajala
    10.Cuir Intense

I like wearing a clean set of clothing everyday.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

l have no problem wearing a piece of clothing more than once before washing it, so long as l haven't been too sweaty or spilled anything on it. And l rather enjoy the intermingling of different fragrances, within reason.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Unless it's hot and/or I've been sweating (or some other obvious reason), I typically use the same t-shirt for two days in a row. Of course, that way the scents tend to mix, although I'd prefer it not to happen. Add to that the different SOTD and SOTE and yeah, it's not optimal.
    Spray less, love more.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I’ll wash anything I’ve worn that is in contact with my torso, but if I’ve worn an undershirt and a sweater or something over that I’m happy to wear the sweater, etc. again with a new scent even if it carries some of my previous scent. Jackets too.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Even on the same day, if I'm switching fragrances, I need to switch the clothing that touched the fragrance. I do not believe in mixing fragrances because each is its own individual piece/story.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I'm one of the two votes for "Not if I was wearing something light the day before."

New t-shirts usually come out in the evening (and come with a change in perfume) and get used until the next evening, so usually I wear the same shirt the next morning and often, but not always, the same perfume.

The t-shirts in the morning smell so good it makes me like the perfumes more.

Jackets and scarves get reused regardless of the perfumes worn with them; shirts and tees get washed daily; whilst cardigans might get washed between wears depending on perfumes worn/dirt level/whatever.

To minimize the mixing, I've switched from spraying under the shirt to letting the fragrance dry for a few mins before putting on the shirt. Wife started complaining about the laundry smelling perfume-y, so it helps a little with that too.
    Spray less, love more.

I will wash a t-shirt after two days of wear but it can be many moons before a sweater gets washed. Wool 'eats up' the bacteria that's responsible for the smell of sweat and washing clothes often damages the fibres, so I try to minimize it (and now I'm buying a steamer so I think t-shirts might take longer between washes too). I also shower every second day to avoid drying out the skin unless it's really hot or I'm doing some strenuous exercise.

So I wear fragrance after using a shower and it always goes on clean clothing. If I put on a sweater and it has a scent already, I will either use no fragrance or 'top up' what was used before. This is not necessarily the most satisfactory state of affairs since every other day I'm left scent-less and go through withdrawal but I tell myself that it allows me to afford fragrances I otherwise wouldn't (due to less frequent use) and those around me get a break from my olfactory experiments. The cat is particularly grateful.

Clean shirt and new fragrance is my preference.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Often yes, but almost as frequently not deliberate regarding the fragrance.
    And far more intentional regarding the wearing/changing of new, fresh clothes for yet another day (usually irrespective if this is a fragrance wearing/SOTD occasion or not) rather than any "perfumy" reason (s).
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    I’ll wash anything I’ve worn that is in contact with my torso, but if I’ve worn an undershirt and a sweater or something over that I’m happy to wear the sweater, etc. again with a new scent even if it carries some of my previous scent. Jackets too.
    This, though with the caveat that if I am doing something that is smelly or dirty, such as yard work, I will wash the overshirt as well. I never wear a tshirt more than once, though I will sleep in the shirt I've worn all day, but after my shower I'm not putting it back on.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l have no problem wearing a piece of clothing more than once before washing it, so long as l haven't been too sweaty or spilled anything on it. And l rather enjoy the intermingling of different fragrances, within reason.
    Same here.
    July Rotation

Allure Homme Sport Cologne / Etruscan Water / Kouros / Insensé / Cuiron / Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
    Le 3me Homme de Caron / Sel Marin / Bes Respiro EdT / Aqua Amara / Acqua di Gio Profumo / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: MAAI by Bogue Profumo

What shirt I wear today will be worn tomorrow for the gym or when I go for a run.