Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Bad boy fragrances vs alpha male fragrance - What is the difference for you? Will some be both?

The terms are subjective and differ from individuals perspective. I really don't see them in that kind of light and only care if my nose enjoys the scent or not.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Default Re: Bad boy fragrances vs alpha male fragrance - What is the difference for you? Will some be both?

Alpha Male fragrance: Aramis (bossy, self-confident, reassuring, present, classic in style, conservative);
    Bad boy fragrance: Costume National Scent Intense (Dark Angel-type, ostensibly "bad" but basically introverted, elusive, saturnine, damned, vaguely androgynous in style, sometimes ghostly, neo-romantic in a urban-chic minimalistic way).
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    The terms are subjective and differ from individuals perspective. I really don't see them in that kind of light and only care if my nose enjoys the scent or not.
    Yes, I am seeing your point!

*backs up toward exits*
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar

I think both terms ("alpha male" and "bad boy") are stupid and even juvenile. Men who define themselves as either tend to be the sort of toxic individuals I'd want nothing to do with. I wouldn't want them as friends, nor as coworkers or even as neighbors. I hope anyone reading this understands the difference between confidence and arrogance, as well as the difference between leadership and toxic masculinity.

Fragrances that are as masculine and bold as Fahrenheit can be worn in a gentlemanly way or in a way that shouts "I have self confidence issues that I hide by pretending to be strong through arrogance and brute force which reeks of insecurity."
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Boy Chanel
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    APOM
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Opus 1870
    Reflection Man
    Prada L'Homme
    Tabac Rouge
    Interlude Man
    Chanel Eau De Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Aqua Celestia
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT
    "Live in the moment. Never count on longevity." --Yeasayer

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I think both terms ("alpha male" and "bad boy") are stupid and even juvenile. Men who define themselves as either tend to be the sort of toxic individuals I'd want nothing to do with. I wouldn't want them as friends, nor as coworkers or even as neighbors.
    Yeah, but those guys aren't looking for you. A guy like that is looking for the women whose panties will immediately drop to the floor as soon as he becomes within 100 feet of them and they can smell the perfume that he's wearing way too much of.

Finally found an image to sum up this thread:
    roxbury-guys.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by imm0rtelle View Post
    This is how I imagine Platinum Egoiste personified:
    Considering his role in Hannibal and the metallic (bloody-like) note in PE this one fits very nicely. Considering the novel, Hannibal was captured for perfuming his letters with Santa Maria Novella fragrances.
    Considering him personally I would choose something with a dirty note since his hair seems to need a wash most of the times. Antaeus maybe.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    I wouldn't call any "dated" powerhouse of yore an alpha male scent, because well, they smell dated to most instead of commanding (imagined) respect.

As for bad boy fragrances, I don't think there's any. A real "bad boy" doesn't smell of cologne.
    Quote Originally Posted by scenting prey View Post
    Cosplaying a successful male sounds like a doomed Cinderella strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Fake tough guys would worry about that. Like Michael Jackson Bad tough guys.
    I use "alpha" and "bad boy" to describe fragrances at times, but yeah, the above is all correct. A confident guy is going to wear what he wants, and a successfully confident guy is going to wear what works for him.

Quote Originally Posted by d r e View Post
    I consider it as

Bad Boy: mysterious, rebellious, dark

Alpha Male: masculine, assertive, heroic

I feel like it's easier to identify a fragrance as being a Bad Boy rather than Alpha Male, since Bad Boy is more of a defined style, and Alpha Male is more of a characteristic.
    That said, I agree with this too. A "bad boy" scent is romanticized and usually a term women use. So I figure a bad boy scent would be something that's sexy but has some edge to it. JV Dark Rebel is an oriental, cold weather fragrance because it's strong and bold, but there's some sweetness in there that I think women would like. It smells "dark." I think Drakkar Noir in its day was also a bad boy fragrance.

Alpha fragrances to me would be scents that can be considered challenging and are better worn by someone of strong character that can pull them off.

Polo
    Fahrenheit
    Gucci Guilty Absolute

Basenotes Plus

That’s a lot of words for Jody.
    Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

Banned

Last edited by JJ The Terrible; 24th June 2021 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Don’t look any further than Tom Ford for men extreme:
    not only bad Alpha but gorilla style testosterone vibe:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...reme-1820.html
    Sounds like Alexander Karelin would be the perfect "model" to represent Tom Ford men extreme.

Maybe he was his muse lol. I definitely will give it a try, not because I think I should use it, but it makes me curious when you say "gorilla type testosterone vibe".

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas1 View Post
    Sounds like Alexander Karelin would be the perfect "model" to represent Tom Ford men extreme.

Maybe he was his muse lol. I definitely will give it a try, not because I think I should use it, but it makes me curious when you say "gorilla type testosterone vibe".
    Clean that guy up, put him in great outing clothes that hide his bulk but not his mojo, smiling, dark glasses, and that's TFE! It's a great scent.

Basenotes Plus

I think it is silly to think that there are not alpha and such in men and women. It gets used by toxic people who co-opt the language, but it is basic psychology of group dynamics and theory of personality. 3000 level stuff, not 4 or 5. It is well established and not really in question these days. Psych students go through testing in this stuff and study it. Shying away from using those terms in their proper place because of those who have taken a shine to them to further their own agenda does not make the underlying theories any less valid. There are keys to look to like conversational deferrals in females and cadence in males. In women it is often more closely tied to social standings and in men it is money, physical prowess, and technical skill.
    Its a valid ask, even if I don't really have any solid answers to the questions that involve actual fragrances.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

@ Redneck Perfumisto
    Cool, that I hit the nail on the head without having smelled "TFE". By the way this guy was not only a freak by nature (135 kg) on a ripped body, feared by all other wrestlers, he was highly educated and the opposite of a loudmouth.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas1 View Post
    @ Redneck Perfumisto
    Cool, that I hit the nail on the head without having smelled "TFE". By the way this guy was not only a freak by nature (135 kg) on a ripped body, feared by all other wrestlers, he was highly educated and the opposite of a loudmouth.
    Many of these athletes are really sharp guys, but usually also very humble about their intellectual side, so people don't find out without getting to know them. Kinda funny - people in their classes often don't know them as athletes, either, or not as the big stars they may be to the rest of the world!

The world is an interesting place!

Back to the original question - that old thread on "bad boy" fragrances you cited - I'd almost say that the brief for Carolina Herrera Bad Boy Le Parfum was written based on the thoughts of our members writing there. The EDT isn't all that "bad boy", IMO, but the parfum is very sleek and slick and dark - right out of the thinking on that thread!

Sure, that's all stereotypes, but if we have fun with those, then I tend to think that a bad boy fragrance would be more seductive, and an alpha fragrance more impressive. Easily possible to blend those attributes. And of course, this will change with current styles and fashions, just like clothing.

I buy and wear fragrances to please my wife's sensibilities as well as mine. There are fragrances she doesn't like me wearing in public or to situations like work precisely because they're too provocative! Some of those were indeed quite popular because of perceptions they were alpha or bad boy. The psychology of fragrances is quite real.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    I wouldn't call any "dated" powerhouse of yore an alpha male scent, because well, they smell dated to most instead of commanding (imagined) respect.

As for bad boy fragrances, I don't think there's any. A real "bad boy" doesn't smell of cologne.
    Just have to quote this! King Keke as an avatar, respect! Kouros guy Keke, methinks

To the topic: agree to a decree. However I also think that change in society has lifted many ol skool scents into the 'alpha' or 'bad boy' category these days. When I was a teenager, Kouros was just Kouros, today it is some kind of supermonster scent from dinosaur age. Go figure, in any case terms and categories such as these are either simply amusing, cosplay or image enhancers depending on one's point of view

On bad boy vs. alpha. I think difference is there, but in general speak they are used without making distinction. For me alpha might be, say Genghis Khan or Aventus even. Bad boy 'haps A-men or similar
    Using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2