Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bad boy fragrances vs alpha male fragrance - What is the difference for you? Will some be both?

A friendly hello to the community. I ask these questions because I found a thread here where people mention YVLs Kouros as well as Dior Fahrenheit as "bad boy fragrances" while in other threads they are discribed as pure "alpha male fragrances". So I wonder, if people use two different categories (bad boy fragrances & alpha male fragrances) to discribe two different categories of men?!

Here a short list made by a "YouTuber", mentionig John Varvatos dark rebel, as well a men pure malt by T. Mugler and a few others as well:
    https://m.facebook.com/JeremyFragran...8307179231831/

and in opposite to this list, basically the same thread here on Basenotes, mentionig YSL Kouros and Dior Fahrenheit:
    https://www.basenotes.net/threads/40...grance-!/page2

Maybe times have changed concerning the older list here on Basenotes.

1.So what is your opinion now about fragrances that describe exacty this "genre" or type of man?
    2.What do you think about the list by Jeffrey Fragrance?
    3. Jeremy also mentions F black by Salvatore Ferragamo. He says it smells like a rich guy on cocain from Wall Street, so wouldn't it fit better into the alpha male category? A business guy in a suit etc.

How about this one:

I am looking forward to your list and your opinion concerning the other two lists.

Kind regards to everyone:

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Bad boy fragrances vs alpha male fragrance - What is the difference for you? Will some be both?

"Bad boy" would seem to imply the fragrance is controversial: Mugler A-Men would be my list.

"Alpha male" would seem to imply an older, stronger fragrance and my list would be Givenchy Gentleman and Bijan for Men with honorable mentions to Moschino Pour Homme, Antaeus, and Jules.

Default Re: Bad boy fragrances vs alpha male fragrance - What is the difference for you? Will some be both?

Kiton Men is badass in a cigar smoking Tony Soprano mobster way

The Jordan Belfort 'Chemistry' fragrance is another Aventus clone isn't it?

I wouldn't call any "dated" powerhouse of yore an alpha male scent, because well, they smell dated to most instead of commanding (imagined) respect.

As for bad boy fragrances, I don't think there's any. A real "bad boy" doesn't smell of cologne.
    Spray less, love more.

Has anybody ever smelled "F black by Salvatore Ferragamo"? In which direction does it go? Are there any more popular fragrances that have a similar vibe/smell?

Don’t look any further than Tom Ford for men extreme:
    not only bad Alpha but gorilla style testosterone vibe:
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...reme-1820.html
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Personally don't make any distinction as such. I simply find the terms amusing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally don't make any distinction as such. I simply find the terms amusing.
    Agreed.

No amount of Aventus can turn someone into an "alpha male" or "bad boy".

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    I wouldn't call any "dated" powerhouse of yore an alpha male scent, because well, they smell dated to most instead of commanding (imagined) respect.

As for bad boy fragrances, I don't think there's any. A real "bad boy" doesn't smell of cologne.
    THIS. Bad boys smell of unwashed bodies and stale cigarettes. It's gross.

Smelling dated isn't alpha either. I can't think of a single fragrance that smells alpha. How you wear a bold fragrance (like a big floral bomb) can be alpha.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
    Check out my Sale Thread
    Check out my Swap Thread
    My Fragrantica Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    How you wear a bold fragrance (like a big floral bomb) can be alpha.
    What do you mean? You either smell flowery or not don't you?

Blog Entries

Nope, how you wear a fragrance matters. You can either wear something confidently because you know yourself well, or you can go around asking people if the fragrance you're wearing is "alpha" enough

Check out my Sale Thread
    Check out my Swap Thread
    My Fragrantica Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by VintagePoison View Post
    Nope, how you wear a fragrance matters. You can either wear something confidently because you know yourself well, or you can go around asking people if the fragrance you're wearing is "alpha" enough

Sorry, I don't buy it

I think it is really open to interpretation, so I will just share my own.

A bad boy would be Celine's Reptile:

There is an unsavoury quality to it. Chandler Burr describes it as smelling like meth. On first impression, I have smelled something resembling generic pills. The leather, pepper and cedar woods gives it that edgy masculine edge to it. There is some sweetness and something that smells like glitter/electricity that gives it some levity, so it can be a bit flirtatious.

This is how I imagine Reptile personified:

An alpha male would be Chanel's Platinum Egoiste:

I imagine an alpha male has their life together. Very regimented and professional. I like how there is a coldness and an edge to it. I imagine them to be slightly standoffish rather than being warm or flirtatious.

This is how I imagine Platinum Egoiste personified:

Basenotes Plus

Cosplaying a successful male sounds like a doomed Cinderella strategy.
    Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

Basenotes Plus

Fake tough guys would worry about that. Like Michael Jackson Bad tough guys. They probably wouldnt wear a "girly" fragrance, but just what other guys would wear. Alphas lead, and will buy according to their personal taste. Bad boys wear the most expensive thing they found that they could steal.
    I smell.
    Currently wearing: Yatagan by Caron

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scenting prey View Post
    Cosplaying a successful male sounds like a doomed Cinderella strategy.
    Wisdom!

Those who wear their fragrances or clothes into respect, get my respect! And I'm happy to be surprised.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I basically agree with the difference people make here. That's why I wondered that in the older "bad boy fragrances thread' users mention YSL Kouros and Dior Fahrenheit. I don't consider them as" bad boy fragrances".

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The cosplay is the destination, it just needs to be done right.

I was remiss to exclude Kouros from my bad boy list.

Are Alpha Males like even a thing anymore? I'd hoped they went extinct by now, always seemed like sad insecure little boys to me. No amount of fragrance can hide their blaring insecurity.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Are Alpha Males like even a thing anymore? I'd hoped they went extinct by now, always seemed like sad insecure little boys to me. No amount of fragrance can hide their blaring insecurity.
    I think we make "rocket science" out of a pretty simple term (alpha male), that obviously is used for a "confident man who stands out of the crowd, stands up for his beliefs and is valued by people for things like integrity, loyalty and a never give up attitude etc."
    Often fragrances that have pretty masculine notes and some kind of seductive vibe are associated with the term 'alpha male fragrance".
    Obviously if you act like a coward in reality and try to please everyone else instead of prioritizing yourself and you use YSL Kouros, you still will be noticed as "gamma or delta", lol. However that should be clear to everyone and it has nothing to do with the the question in the opening post.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cheapimitation View Post
    Those terms are in heavy rotation in the IDW realm (love it or hate it) to discuss hierarchies. From my perspective, I always associate terms like “alpha male” with civilian (i.e., not military or paramilitary) mindsets because they live in a world of constantly negotiated hierarchies.
    Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.

Those are good personality traits you list, but it is the idea of ranking people into "alpha" and "beta" that I find absurd and old fashioned. Unless of course it's your kink to be sub/dom etc, then by all means, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas1 View Post
    I think we make "rocket science" out of a pretty simple term (alpha male), that obviously is used for a "confident man who stands out of the crowd, stands up for his beliefs and is valued by people for things like integrity, loyalty and a never give up attitude etc."
    Often fragrances that have pretty masculine notes and some kind of seductive vibe are associated with the term 'alpha male fragrance".
    Obviously if you act like a coward in reality and try to please everyone else instead of prioritizing yourself and you use YSL Kouros, you still will be noticed as "gamma or delta", lol. However that should be clear to everyone and it has nothing to do with the the question in the opening post.
    "I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones."
    -John Cage

Haha, good answer. No Sub & Dom lol. I would describe Oskar Schindler as a perfect example of an alpha male! I hope we agree on that.

Yea it's true, I just wish we didn't have to stoop to their level on here. The military example definitely makes sense.

Those terms are in heavy rotation in the IDW realm (love it or hate it) to discuss hierarchies. From my perspective, I always associate the terms with civilian (i.e., not military or paramilitary) mindsets because they live in a world of constantly negotiated hierarchies.
    Haha, thank you for taking what I say with a sense of humor, no harm meant on my part! I have nothing against admirable and extraordinary people of any gender, for sure Schindler fits that category. But I'm sure he would be the first to balk at the idea of ranking people.

This clearly isn't my genre as a shy creative type (but call me a beta and I'll cut you), so I'll let myself out the door.

Haha, good answer. No Sub & Dom lol. I would describe Oskar Schindler as a perfect example of an alpha male! I hope we agree on that.
    -John Cage

To answer most, if not even all questions as precise and also detailed as possible:

1) from my personal opinion alone, there is little to no difference between the two categories-meaning in both cases most fragrances with a dark note did rate as the best/highest ranking not just in the "currently owning/previously owned" but even more so in the "tested" section of the BN wardrobe
    2) did not identify/relate to very much, if at all with this list
    3) maybe as a slight exception from the personal reply to point 2), did somehow relate to this description of F Black, albeit again quite surprising for such affordable price- both somewhat suitable for both categories.
    And though while fairly striking, statement making and loud as well, would hardly (though not 100% impossibly/unlikely) associate this with the scent of a Wall Street Guy on cocaine.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Those terms are in heavy rotation in the IDW realm (love it or hate it) to discuss hierarchies. From my perspective, I always associate terms like “alpha male” with civilian (i.e., not military or paramilitary) mindsets because they live in a world of constantly negotiated hierarchies.
    I have zero experience in the military, but I was under the impression that although there are official hierarchies, soldiers are constantly negotiating dominance with each other. Some might conduct shadow play, or backstab one another to get more recognition and increase their chances of getting a promotion.

I believe that as long as humans exist, there will be "alpha" males. They take initiative. They take charge. They're who others look to for inspiration. They're the natural born leaders.

I don't know how Kouros smells like, but if it is as polarizing as a lot of people describe it to be, I'm unsure I would classify it as an "alpha" male scent. I feel like an "alpha" male is someone who garners respect. I can imagine wearing a polarizing scent will garner more contempt than respect.

Basenotes Junkie

I consider it as

Bad Boy: mysterious, rebellious, dark

Alpha Male: masculine, assertive, heroic

I feel like it's easier to identify a fragrance as being a Bad Boy rather than Alpha Male, since Bad Boy is more of a defined style, and Alpha Male is more of a characteristic.

With that being said, I don't consider Fahrenheit or Korous as being Bad Boy. Both seem too.. nice deep down. However most of this all depends on the wearer, who can sway the perception of a scent a bit. A Bad Boy wearing Fahrenheit or Korous can make it seem as such. An Alpha Male wearing either makes it seem as such. They have enough of the general characteristics to make them applicable to either IMO

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

The whole Alpha/Beta/Omega thing borrowed from the study of how wolves socialize is incorrectly applied from the onset, because alpha wolves tend to reproduce and socially dominate the group less than betas, because they're always leading hunts and fighting off dangers. They also tend to die and get replaced much sooner too.

That said, the term "alpha male" in the context that online incel/gymbro/sweaty/tryhard/other cishetero social groups use it sorta implies physical superiority and financial success coupled with an insufferably arrogant self-absorbed borderline sociopathic personality. Think Patrick Batemann from American Psycho but the Lite version. For me, someone like that would only wear top-rated scents from luxury brands like Creed, Parfums de Marly, Roja Dove, and maybe some of the higher-end designers like Tom Ford.

They want to be recognized for their achievement and higher placement than you, because being "alpha" is letting everyone know that you are (under this mentality), so niche or vintages aren't it. 30 years ago we had powerhouse fragrances for this same effect, but those don't pass muster anymore either socially or by IFRA regulations lol

Bad boy is an entirely different phenomenon, more of a romanticized notion than "alpha male", which is a social construct for overly-competitive and jealous types. Bad boys get defined and redefined throughout history, so they could be anything from the classic James Dean trope to a wild west bandit, all the way up to a modern hip hop mogul slathered in gold and holding his gun sideways while grabbing his junk. Because of this, best you can do is define for yourself what a bad boy means to you then scent accordingly.

For me, everything from stiff leathers such as Moschino pour Homme (1990) to really smoky fragrances like Jacomo de Jacomo (1980) read as bad boy, but so also things like Paco Rabanne 1 Million (2008) and copious applications of Dior Sauvage (2015), because they inform of someone just not really caring about how noticeable their "cologne" is haha
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil
    Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Formerly Zealot Crusader
    Currently wearing: Polo Sport by Ralph Lauren

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast