Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Iím not old, Iím vintage.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - July 2021

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I've even got a mass-market "blue" frag in the queue before I go diving back into niche samples and vintage decants. (FYI, I picked Mr. Burberry Indigo over Versace pour Homme Dylan Blue.) I want to be egalitarian, honest, but most of these demographics-driven corporate crowd-pleasers don't make it easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    I liken my taste for the bloooo frags to my taste for fast food cheeseburgers, so I understand you. Some days it's aged wagyu beef hot pot, some days it's a double jack + curly fries.
    9F2D3022-306C-4E85-9AE8-FD8D68BF395B.jpg

Burberry - Mr. Burberry Indigo

I used to peel open the sticky flaps on fragrance ads in men’s fashion magazines to see what the frags smelled like. Inevitably, they all smelled the same, so I came to think of that scent as the smell of paper.

Mr. Burberry Indigo smells like paper. There’s nothing particularly wrong or right about it. It’s just as generic as a light blue horizontal stripe on a white background. Within that narrow blue band, MBI is amongst the more pleasant, though not quite as distinctive as, say, Bleu de Chanel. Chiefly, it avoids the pitfall of aromachemical aggression, which allows one to appreciate the modest charms of the genre. The spearmint is a nice touch, even if it vaguely recalls commercial bathroom cleaning products.

Perfectly fine if you don’t mind smelling like magazine pages.

Basenotes Plus

Today, I'm wearing Clinique's My Happy Cookies and Kisses!
    Actually..I don't care for this one so much! :/ It's yet another one of those scents that contains some note that strongly smells like pepper to me, and, for me, those are mostly all scrubbers! :/ It also has some sweet notes like vanilla..but mostly, I don't care for it. It's one of the ones in a yellow bottle.

PSToller: That's hilarious! XD I don't think I've ever come across a magazine-scented perfume!
    I always loved those perfume samples on magazine pages too though! But I agree that they're never properly scented enough! You don't really get what the fragrance is actually like! I feel like it's one of those marketing tricks, like the glass of coffee beans they have in perfume sections of stores! XD It just makes everything smell the same!

7354CBAD-1479-4B45-AC6C-87CF53224667.jpeg

Elie Saab - Le Parfum

A blandly pretty floral with nothing to say, so the less said in response, the better.

Basenotes Plus

Today I'm wearing Clinique's My Happy Lily of the Beach!
    I'm really enjoying it actually..it's a very nice coconut-beachy type of scent that's very nice for summer.
    It reminds me a lot of a scent that should be in a sun tan lotion. It's the one in the marigold-yellow bottle.

D89D0830-C902-4314-935F-910A0298BE0C.jpg

Jean-Paul Gaultier - Scandal ŗ Paris

Transitioning from my “junk pile” to my assortment of arguably more respectable designer and niche carded samples, getting them out of the way first because they take up more space but I’m irrationally averse to throwing away the cards.

My first signature fragrance was Gaultier’s Le M‚le, which I wore for years with no idea who Kurkdjian was and without setting foot in a gay club. (The odd piano bar, perhaps.) I haven’t tried any of the Le M‚le flankers yet; perhaps I should for old times’ sake. I haven’t worn Gaultier’s clothes for ages, either, but I’ve always enjoyed his aesthetic.

Anyway, the truncated pyramid in the directory looks dire, but it’s Gaultier and it has no reviews, so it’s on today.

The Scandal line promises sex with JPG’s usual subtlety, “legs in the air” and all that. But after Tom Ford’s ads with bottles crammed so tightly over models’ nether orifices as to be practically penetrative, are high heels held high even remotely <ahem!> shocking? The line evokes the juiciness of scandal with gourmand honey and fruit notes, which at least in this case is at once too literal and too metaphorical to be sexy.

Scandal ŗ Paris is, per Gaultier, the least intense entry in the Scandal line thus far: pear that’s just ripe, jasmine that’s not indolic, and honey that’s thoroughly refined, making this sweet and youthful and, perhaps thankfully, not even remotely scandalous. Wearing Scandal ŗ Paris, you might get diabetes, but you’d never get pregnant.

Sexiness aside, the sweetness can be overbearing, but the pear at least adds a frisson of sophistication that keeps if from being revolting. Still, I’d expect something like this to have a pop ingenue’s name on it, not Gaultier’s.
    Last edited by PStoller; 22nd July 2021 at 09:21 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Louis Vuitton Cactus Garden - loving it!

7E3D15BA-09FB-4C22-9522-BE446978ECA9.jpg

Chanel - No. 22 EdT

I’ve never nosed Ernest Beaux’s original No. 22, which Rogalal describes as a digital remix/remaster of No. 5 that emphasizes high frequencies at the expense of the mids and/or lows. What I’m getting here is the remix of the remix (though it’s been done yet once again for the EdP, which my wardrobe alleges I have stashed around here somewhere). No. 5 itself has been substantially tweaked, its once-notorious civet now a synthetic simulacrum mixed way down, the overall scent no longer evoking Marilyn Monroe au naturel. All things considered, Chanel has done a respectable job of balancing respect for its heritage with the legal and cultural demands of its times. Still, what to make of this “Exclusif” scent so far removed from its point of origin?

Fortunately, Chanel entrusted the revival of No. 22 to the older and wiser of the Polges, Jacques, rather than to his modernist son Olivier. JP has given us a respectable light aldehydic rosy floral that leans neither toward excessive sweetness nor faux wood aromatics. The result is both youthful in its freshness and old-school in its profile. Resolutely feminine in its cultural context, it’s pretty without being the least bit vain, flattering without a whiff of seduction. As such, it should transition well from day to evening, though perhaps too demure for date nights.

I wouldn’t wear this again myself, and would greatly prefer my beloved in vintage No. 5 parfum or EdC, but I’ll give No. 22 this: it’s the sort of simple thing countless perfumers have attempted and continue to attempt, but that few have achieved with comparable success.

The last of my untried Chanel samples:

4F00F903-2B0A-4CFC-984A-159884B6F06C.jpg

La Pausa EdP

I wanted to compare it to its predecessor, 28 La Pausa EdT. Fortunately, Dr. T. came to the rescue:

024FC990-FB9C-492C-8D46-F9ECCE5857CC.jpg

These are obviously based on the same Iris accord, but the EdP is rounder and more persistent. It may be the one case where the Exclusifs EdP improved on the original EdT. But then, it depends what you’re after.

28 LP is a gossamer thing, an elegant wisp that slips from your grasp just as you’ve wrapped your fingers around it. It’s lovely but dry and spare, “feminine” only in the sense of some presumed distaff delicacy.

LP EdP adds longevity and performance. The peppercorns and vetiver are more pronounced, yet they have the effect of buoying the iris pallida rather than drowning it. Why this should be classified as feminine is a mystery to me, as it’s easily unisex—I dare say more “butch” than the original iris-centric Dior Homme.

Polge the Elder did a fine job with both LPs. If you want a fragrance that lasts, the EdP is the clear winner. But it may be that the memory of the EdT will last longer still.

PS: That EdT has a stealth base that sustains light but long. The EdP is still the clear performance champ, and I like its tone as well. There’s a modern WAC in there, but it’s neither cheap not oversaturated.
    Last edited by PStoller; 26th July 2021 at 02:16 AM.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

9F2D3022-306C-4E85-9AE8-FD8D68BF395B.jpg

Burberry - Mr. Burberry Indigo

I used to peel open the sticky flaps on fragrance ads in men’s fashion magazines to see what the frags smelled like. Inevitably, they all smelled the same, so I came to think of that scent as the smell of paper.

Mr. Burberry Indigo smells like paper. There’s nothing particularly wrong or right about it. It’s just as generic as a light blue horizontal stripe on a white background. Within that narrow blue band, MBI is amongst the more pleasant, though not quite as distinctive as, say, Bleu de Chanel. Chiefly, it avoids the pitfall of aromachemical aggression, which allows one to appreciate the modest charms of the genre. The spearmint is a nice touch, even if it vaguely recalls commercial bathroom cleaning products.

Perfectly fine if you don’t mind smelling like magazine pages.
    I don't think I've caught a tester of this in the wild, but I did smell the Skynet of fragrances the other day, and my review for that is up. I'll leave it to you if you're morbidly curious enough to figure out what I'm referring to, because it's probably the furthest from your olfactive bandwidth (and still has me confused).
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    I don't think I've caught a tester of this in the wild, but I did smell the Skynet of fragrances the other day, and my review for that is up. I'll leave it to you if you're morbidly curious enough to figure out what I'm referring to, because it's probably the furthest from your olfactive bandwidth (and still has me confused).
    Is it the Paco Rabanne Phantom?

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

Is it the Paco Rabanne Phantom?
    The Phantom Menace

*cue the Imperial March*
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

A new week, a new house.

8D4C6D6F-95B8-496E-B84B-7E803E44A83A.jpg

Serge Lutens - La Couche du Diable
    “How can one attend the coronation of Satan without ever once having tasted sin? Oud and labdanum come together to create a diabolical and sumptuous veil of indulgence and remorse for a first transgression.” – Serge Lutens website

I missed the coronation, but at first whiff, it was a swanky event, with a lot less brimstone than you might have expected.

Mostly, I agree with the positive reviews already posted. If you like labdanum—and I do—this is great. The oud is relatively tame (meaning neither barnyard nor searingly synthetic), which in this case is probably a good thing. There's some amber and spice to "keep it oriental," but the amber isn't too sweet, the spice not overbearing, and thankfully no dollop of vanilla to turn it all to marshmallow. Although I'm not rushing out to buy a bottle, I'd say it's FB-worthy, and if I stumbled upon one at the right price, I'd probably nab it.

Dane dismissed it as "amber and tomato paste." We all smell what we smell, of course, and I respect Dane; but, as someone who's iffy about amber and despises tomato paste, I gotta say that take is a head-scratcher for me. Tomato leaf, maybe, but only in passing.
    Last edited by PStoller; 27th July 2021 at 01:42 AM.

Blog Entries

Symmetry by Sarah Baker Perfumes:

ln the opening phase, this is very much a woody fragrance with a slightly animalic flavour, & that "band aid" type of oud. The listed wood note is cypriol, also known as nagarmotha, which apparently has aspects of oud, cedar, tar, patchouli, smoke & leather. l'm definitely getting all of these impressions, & it seems this note is overpowering everything else on my skin, because l'm not getting the listed citrus notes at all, although there is a certain freshness here for the first twenty minutes. After this, it mellows into a slightly sweet, smoky, incensey, woody heart, & the initially strong projection softens considerably. Five hours in, there's been no further change.

This one is supposed to combine a cologne-style fragrance with an evocation of "the bustling markets of the Ancient World". lt's an interesting idea, but l wouldn't call it remotely cologne-like, & my imagination tells me to expect something a lot spicier from that description. lt is, however, a nicely autumnal fragrance that leans masculine but is easily unisex.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: OSA by Note di Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Symmetry by Sarah Baker Perfumes: …
    Nice. Your review makes it sound like something I’d like, caveats notwithstanding.

115894C2-A95E-441F-AA8F-2C81FEE98203.jpg

Serge Lutens - Datura Noir

I’m entering into this one with some trepidation, as the heart notes are not my cuppa. But I shall try to keep an open mind.

The citrus on top is nice enough, though fleeting. I look forward to the myrrh and musk in the base. Meanwhile, the dominant notes to my nose are the tuberose and coconut oil, with perhaps a smidgen of heliotrope: basically, high-rent suntan lotion. Pleasant, but so not me.

After a while, the coconut recedes and the base doesn’t so much assert itself as round out/warm up the tuberose. This is a fine thing to do with tuberose, which in the wrong hands can be made so piercingly sweet you could use it to put in a nose ring, but it doesn’t make this of any greater interest to me, or particularly exciting in general. It’s well done, so if the notes are your thing, don’t let me put you off it. I don’t need more than 1ml.
    Last edited by PStoller; 27th July 2021 at 11:20 PM.

Blog Entries

Nice. Your review makes it sound like something I’d like, caveats notwithstanding.
    l'd be very interested to read your impressions, PStoller! l'm no expert on oud fragrances, so l can't really compare it to others, but l did enjoy this one.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

l'd be very interested to read your impressions, PStoller! l'm no expert on oud fragrances, so l can't really compare it to others, but l did enjoy this one.
    Oh, neither am I! I would describe my oud samplings thus far as somewhat diverse but severely limited. If I ever dig into Sarah Baker, I'll be sure to put that one on the list. At my current rate, it might not be until 2025…

DD9BC6B8-A11A-48AF-985B-9507642A336F.jpg

Serge Lutens - Fťminitť du Bois

Much has been written about this one, most of it laudatory. I was glad to see that Barbara Herman single out the prominent cumin note that isn't in the pyramid—I was starting to think I had the wrong fragrance in the tube! But, no, FdB is most definitely cumin-forward, which is not necessarily a problem for me, although too much, or skewing too strongly to "B.O.," is a deal-breaker.

In the case of FdB, it's not so much the strength of the cumin as the juxtaposition. Herman likens the overall scent to "a poetic perfume rendition of a woman's nether regions," which may have been the intent, but I find the underlying fruit to be the wrong sort of sweetness for that; no disco lemonade here, alas. Rather than poetic punani, I got a fruity-floral bouquet of the 1990s "fresh" aromachems I abhor, and all the woods and spice in the world—which are seemingly crammed into FdB—aren't enough to compensate. It dries down better after a few hours, but not to anything worth slogging through the opening for.

For photorealistic sex-in-a-bottle, I'll stick with Eau d'HermŤs, thanks very much.
    Last edited by PStoller; 28th July 2021 at 10:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Far from the Madding Crowd by Sarah Baker Perfumes:

From the first spray, this brings to mind sunlit meadows & warm, fertile earth. While initially it's a little too sharp for my taste, with blackcurrant & a hint of grapefruit, there is a subtle sweetness to the fruit. And over the first hour the sharpness dies away to reveal a dry, grassy, hay-like accord, which slowly turns more earthy & herbal, & later there's a mineral note in there. At the four hour mark it's soft, but persistent.

This one is meant to represent a "romantic picnic in the countryside", & l certainly get the sense that l've been for a roll in the hay! Without any sexual connotation though, despite the animalic note of castoreum listed here. And there's definitely Ribena being served at this picnic.

lt's not something l'd wear often myself, but l'd recommend this to anyone who loves the smells of the great outdoors, especially the countryside in summertime.

Far from the Madding Crowd by Sarah Baker Perfumes:

… This one is meant to represent a "romantic picnic in the countryside", & l certainly get the sense that l've been for a roll in the hay! Without any sexual connotation though, despite the animalic note of castoreum listed here. And there's definitely Ribena being served at this picnic.

lt's not something l'd wear often myself, but l'd recommend this to anyone who loves the smells of the great outdoors, especially the countryside in summertime.
    Sounds perfect for tomorrow’s Great Outdoors sync.

565BE02B-F660-4F68-B9C8-66EE988132FB.jpg

Serge Lutens - Five o'Clock au Gingembre

This promised to be an iffy wear for me, what with the note pyramid and various reviews suggesting a gourmand—not my favorite genre. Fortunately, the candied ginger and honey don't come across so sweet on my skin, and the cocoa read as unsweetened or bittersweet. JackTwist's review cites an uncredited oud/cedar note as a negative; I got what I thought was oud as a positive, which makes me wonder if some aromachem in the base eventually got reclassified as a synthetic oud. But then, it could be the cocoa/pepper/patchouli combo, and perhaps that's also what reads as cola to other noses.

Regardless, this has turned out to be quite the enjoyable wear, running neck-and-neck with La Couche du Diable for favorite amongst my small selection of Lutens samples. Up next this weekend (after the Friday sync) is the much-maligned La Religieuse, followed by a second pass at the celebrated Muscs KoublaÔ Khšn—that one didn't knock me out the first time, but since I'm doing the rest of my SLs, I figured I'd give it one more chance.

Dr. T. has a small Lutens wardrobe of her own that I may have to try on at some point, including De Profundis (which I love), Iris Silver Mist (which I love on her, but might not on me), and her SOTD, Bois de Violette. (Also in her collection is Fťminitť du Bois, with which she's had better luck than I.)
    Last edited by PStoller; 30th July 2021 at 01:50 AM.

40589CA3-5EBA-4296-B5D7-29F7683979F8.jpg

Serge Lutens - La Religieuse

This one's hard to get a bead on. Icy white florals and shadowy incense underpinned by faint musk and fainter civetone (the latter, in truth, I don't detect at all) would seem a promising combination in the hands of Lutens/Sheldrake. If you're looking for performance, though, you won't find it here. This is a whispering fragrance, surprising—and disappointing—at Lutens' "Haute Concentration" price point. The periodic wafts are actually quite lovely, but even for something intentionally subtle, I want a bit more. While I suppose I could spray more liberally, do I really need a less profound De Profundis?

There'll be no FB for me. But I think I'll go use up my sample sprayer and see if LR benefits or suffers from the additional dose.

Addendum: It doesn’t make much difference. It did give me another pass at the opening, which is largely jasmine with other florals and a vague fruity note. It’s definitely better after all that recedes, but not so much better that I can get excited about it.
    Last edited by PStoller; 1st August 2021 at 02:50 AM.

B2776B33-D8F2-4AD5-8E1A-DA3C03ECC133.jpg

Serge Lutens - Muscs KoublaÔ Khšn

This is my second pass at MKK, something I didn't appreciate on my first. I didn't dislike it so much as respond, "That's it?" It seemed innocent and monochromatic.

This time around, I'm understanding it more. The musk has a funkier character that I perceived last time, which I'm enjoying. It still seems linear and narrow in its palette—it seems to go straight to the base notes and stay there—but I'm smelling more complexity within that range. MKK flirts with offense, but ultimately doesn't "go there." It's a bad boy without a criminal record. So, sexy but not sleazy.

I'd be more inclined toward a FB of something that works more territory than MKK's patch of dirt, but if I had a bottle, I wouldn't give it away.

Blog Entries

PStoller, your responses to La Religieuse & MKK were quite similar to mine, l think.

And the August thread is up, see you there!

Basenotes Plus

MKK flirts with offense, but ultimately doesn't "go there."
    I think it goes there. This stuff is challenging!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3