Code of Conduct
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Default Re: NEW Dior Sauvage Elixir

I've got about three hours of wear time now...This is a really nice fragrance and I enjoy the way it progresses through the top to mid and base notes.

To start you have that Sauvage Signature Accord..."freshly laundered clothing" vibe of traditional Sauvage combined with sugary-sweet licorice. As the sweetness dies down a bit and the licorice notes fade I get hints of coffee and faint lemon with cinnamon. The coffee note fades quickly and I'm left with a slightly fresh-spicy Sandalwood, baking spices and lavender. The Sauvage accord...as I'll call it weaves it's way in and out throughout the wear.

FWIW my wife kept asking me what I was wearing today and complimented me several times on how good I smelled. She tends to like fresher fragrances and I prefer more interesting or unique scents. I think Sauvage Elixir falls nicely between the two, a nice compromise! I'm impressed with the fragrance, although I do think it's a bit overpriced...would have been more of a value at 3.4oz but it's not a terrible price by any means considering the performance on this seems to be quite good, even on skin.

Gah, it's iffy.

Here's my view. I recently joined the "sauvage club", even though I have some 400+ fragrances in my collection, I thought why not go for it. Now generally with Sauvage, people say it can be "soapy", I sort of agree but in a good way. In terms of longevity, average.

My dog can actually showcase how long fragrances last, where a quick single spray of Givenchy gentleman edp last about a week on him (no joke at all), Sauvage was terrible. Probably an hour at best. I like it, longevity doesn't.

Anyway, onto Elixir. I had a sample tester bottle and meh. So on first sprays it gave me a sore throat. It seems the smell is very much like the old gilette shaving foam or something similar. It's that sweet eurgh stuff which just lingers in a bad way. These days you shave with foam because you have to, not because you want to.

How it lasted was just average. An hour or 2 and gone. I just can't understand why people like it. The dog spray..... an hour later and not scent at all from him.

* Note, I only spray my dog very softly and on the back as instructed by a leading vet. No PH balance of my dogs coat was affected.

Anyway, for the price, it's not very good. Will I buy it? Probably, looks nice in my cabinet I guess.

Something sounds off with the tester bottle if the performance is that bad, everyone else gets basically forever performance. Hopefully you get a better feel for it and discover what everyone else is experiencing. I’ve yet to smell it but look forward to seeing what the fuss is about since a excellent designer fragrance seems forever ago.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

I literally just took a shower about a half hour ago and I can still smell Sauvage Elixir on my skin...after about 10 hours of wear...went for a walk and showered and I can still smell it. Guessing either you're nose blind to it or something is off with the bottle you have.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I get hints of coffee and faint lemon with cinnamon. The coffee note fades quickly..........
    Thanks -- only one other review has mentioned a coffee note (apart from me). Maybe it drifts in and out? I thought I detected it quite early on.

Dependent

Had my bottle for a while but tried it for the first time today.

I really like it. To me it has a cool (aesthetically, not temperature) melancholy about it.

Elixir takes me back over 30 years to when I was wearing Givenchy Xeryus at a strange home in a neighboring county from wear I grew up. VERY fuzzy memory to say the least. I think I was wearing a sweater and it was winter. So odd how scents can do that. Closest things to a time machine that I know of. Some scents just trigger an immediate memory association. Freaky powerful.
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Elixir takes me back over 30 years to when I was wearing Givenchy Xeryus at a strange home in a neighboring county from wear I grew up. VERY fuzzy memory to say the least. I think I was wearing a sweater and it was winter. So odd how scents can do that. Closest things to a time machine that I know of. Some scents just trigger an immediate memory association. Freaky powerful.
    Absolutely. They certainly can. On my first wearing I definitely got some memories of wearing Drakka Noir in the 80’s as a teenager and then in the late dry down I was even getting memories of Shulton’s Insignia - 80’s again.

Bought mine today. One of the last bottles at my Macy’s. Noticed one bottle left at the local Sephora too. It’s popular.

Wearing Elixir today and enjoying it. I only wore two sprays, but honestly I probably needed another. This is NOT a monster on me by any stretch. Must be my skin or my nose, but none of the Sauvages nor the Bleu's are great performers for me.

Apparently, this weekend my mother-in-law was still talking to my wife about how this smelled so good on me. That was from September 1st, when I wore it to that volleyball game.
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Louis Vuitton On the Beach
    3. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    4. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    5. Mugler Over the Musk

Quote Originally Posted by deltasun View Post
    Apparently, this weekend my mother-in-law was still talking to my wife about how this smelled so good on me. That was from September 1st, when I wore it to that volleyball game.
    You stud.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    You stud.
    That word might have been thrown around during that conversation. lol
    Top 5 Current Obsessions
    1. Louis Vuitton Ombre Nomade
    2. Louis Vuitton On the Beach
    3. Marc-Antoine Barrois B683 Extrait
    4. Fragrance du Bois Sahraa Oud
    5. Mugler Over the Musk

Chanel hopefully has something special in store for us, it looks like Dior delivered a monster and Chanel hopefully has a home run coming soon!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Chanel hopefully has something special in store for us, it looks like Dior delivered a monster and Chanel hopefully has a home run coming soon!
    That would be awesome.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I wore through my sample and liked it quite a bit. Not enough to spring for a bottle, but would be waiting to get a 5 ml decant.
    September Rotation

Cuir d'Ange / Etruscan Water / Carnal Flower / Bel Ami Vetiver / Vetiver Extraordinaire / Christopher Street
    Caron Third Man / Baie de Genievre / Cuiron / Rive Gauche pour Homme / Bois d'Armenie / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Basenotes Institution Danny Mitchell's Avatar

I have a sample, thanks to a good b-notes buddy, and tried it this morning. I wouldn't say that I was let-down but I was expecting a little bit more. I guess I can blame the rave reviews but I can see where all of you are coming from. The DNA is still there are extremely strong. A lot of cinnamon, too. Out of everything in the line, I think I still like the Parfum the most. I need to go back and sample the rest of the line.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Smelled and wore this today for the first time.

My thoughts:

- Sauvage DNA strong, and I think it's the best part
    - the "rich" part of the EDT is the basis of the scent
    - the radiant cold fresh chill is gone, now WARM
    - grew on me very quickly - addictive stuff
    - my wife doesn't like it - "too stimulating" - LOL
    - I think Demachy nailed his objective here
    - Elixir is the Bleu Parfum of Sauvages
    - FBW for me, but pricey & wife no likey, so on hold
    - Nonetheless, 5* fragrance, IMO
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9