Code of Conduct

Default Has anybody heard of 'Opinion for Men' by Hanorah ?

Hello all !

I stumbled upon this one for sale. What do you think ?

Thank you !

Opinion.jpg

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

Default Re: Has anybody heard of 'Opinion for Men' by Hanorah ?

I've heard of it, and it's on my extended "someday" shopping list, as would be anything else from Hanorah. But that's about all I can tell you.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I've heard of it, and it's on my extended "someday" shopping list, as would be anything else from Hanorah. But that's about all I can tell you.
    Do you happen to know from what country this house hails from?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I have two bottles of this .
    Purchased from Germany 2 yrs ago .
    Definately a powerhouse & a hidden gem .
    Pull the trigger boys !!

" Wanted " empty bottle of Macassar

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

With a name like Opinion, it had better be strong, and every Basenoter should own a bottle.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Do you happen to know from what country this house hails from?
    Yes: Italy. Hanorah was a Milanese company associated with Diana de Silva, though I’m a little fuzzy on who owned whom.

Thank you very much for your replies ! It's a bit pricey for me; I'm going to make a proposition to the seller; I'll let you know.

Common Lackey

I find the design elements of the packaging a bit baffling. What could a stubby letter "J" have to do with opinions?

Or maybe it's not a "J". Maybe it's a length of elbow pipe.
    Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
    Just keep going. No feeling is final.

--Rainer Maria Rilke

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Yes: Italy. Hanorah was a Milanese company associated with Diana de Silva, though I’m a little fuzzy on who owned whom.
    Thank you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the "J" stands for Jean Pierre Vitrac the bottle's designer:

https://www.freepatentsonline.com/D280181.pdf

Common Lackey

Quote Originally Posted by nosey74 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say the "J" stands for Jean Pierre Vitrac the bottle's designer:

So you can patent a bottle design but can't copyright the formula for the perfume that goes in it. What a world.

--Rainer Maria Rilke

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    So you can patent a bottle design but can't copyright the formula for the perfume that goes in it. What a world.
    I didn't know that. Google to the rescue, again!

https://patentrebel.com/can-perfume-...nted-answered/

"Can Perfume be Patented?

The short answer is that only the composition of perfume can be patented, the scent itself cannot be patented. Said differently, only the mixture of ingredients that go into perfumes can be patented. The USPTO has even created an entire classification system that deals with perfume patents. Just remember, the scent of perfume itself cannot be protected with a patent because it does not fall under the definition of a patent because it does not qualify as a composition of matter, but the unique mixture of ingredients that go into perfume can be patented.

Those who invent new perfumes often do not seek to patent them because part of filing a patent application requires the disclosure of all of the ingredients that go into the perfume. Patent applications become public after a short period of time. Therefore, many perfume makers choose not to patent their perfume to avoid having the ingredients become public.

If you choose to patent your perfume, just know that you will have to disclose everything that goes into making your perfume to obtain the broadest patent protection possible. For many, making this broad of disclosure is not the smartest thing to do, especially if you have a really unique and commercially successful perfume that’s difficult to reverse engineer.

That said, if you successfully patent a new and unique mixture of ingredients for a perfume, you will be able to restrict others from using, making, selling, or offering to sell a perfume that has a similar mixture to the one you’ve patented.

However, in the past, large perfume makers have erred on the side of caution and have not sought to patent their perfumes. They realize that patents grant important intellectual property rights, but not important enough to disclose the exact ingredients and quantities that go into making their successful lines of perfumes."

I think I posted about this about a year ago. The courts have ruled (unwisely, in my opinion) that perfumes cannot be copyrighted as unique artistic expressions, and perfumers are generally loath to disclose their entire recipes in patent applications, so they rely on the notion of their formulae as “trade secrets,” which protects them from theft but not from imitation—even via reverse engineering.

Thank you very much, Nosey74, for this very interesting finding !

Common Lackey

The short answer is that only the composition of perfume can be patented, the scent itself cannot be patented. Said differently, only the mixture of ingredients that go into perfumes can be patented.
    I think I posted about this about a year ago. The courts have ruled (unwisely, in my opinion) that perfumes cannot be copyrighted as unique artistic expressions, and perfumers are generally loath to disclose their entire recipes in patent applications, so they rely on the notion of their formulae as “trade secrets,” which protects them from theft but not from imitation—even via reverse engineering.
    So I was partially misinformed. I thought it worked like recipes, which can't be copyrighted. So you CAN copyright your perfume formula, but nobody does so for fear of imitation.

That reasoning seems pretty moot in these days of GC/MS analysis.

I wonder if anyone ever copyrighted a formula, but purposely lied about parts of it just to throw copycats off the track?

--Rainer Maria Rilke

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

So I was partially misinformed. I thought it worked like recipes, which can't be copyrighted. So you CAN copyright your perfume formula, but nobody does so for fear of imitation.

That reasoning seems pretty moot in these days of GC/MS analysis.

I wonder if anyone ever copyrighted a formula, but purposely lied about parts of it just to throw copycats off the track?
    That last part is probably against the law in some sort of way.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.

No. You cannot copyright a perfume: you can only patent it. Although conceptually similar, they’re not the same thing and are governed by different laws. Copyright would protect the formula without the necessity of making it public, and would potentially render other work deemed derivative (“smell-alikes”) as infringements. Patent applies strictly to the formula, which must be made public to be protected, and would only protect the work against others that are (or are virtually) structurally identical, not those that are perceived (smelled) as identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    That last part is probably against the law in some sort of way.
    I don’t know about that, but it would be self-defeating, because you would be protecting the bogus formula while leaving the real one vulnerable.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

I don’t know about that, but it would be self-defeating, because you would be protecting the bogus formula while leaving the real one vulnerable.
    Bill & Ted's Bogus Formula