Code of Conduct
    Missing Oakmoss

Default Habanita 100th Anniversary Edition EDP, Red Bottle

Has anyone tried this? It seems to have been introduced in March 2021, though I only noticed it yesterday on Molinard's site. https://www.molinard.uk/habanita-ann...on-c2x34445634 According to Fragrantica, the familiar notes have been juggled a bit, and two new ones have been added: black pepper and sea salt. I'd love to know how it compares to the 2012 EDP version, which is one of the few reformulations that I find completely successful.

As an aside, scrolling through Habanita's page on Raiders of the Lost Scent, I was reminded of Molinard's claim that the original 1921 formula contained over 600 ingredients. Is that even possible? Surely it's hyperbole, intended to convey the idea of luxury and richness. Compare that to Guerlain's assertion that original Mitsouko consisted of only ten!

Common Lackey

Default Re: Habanita 100th Anniversary Edition EDP, Red Bottle

Ick, hate the new bottle. They took a classic design and turned it into a cartoon.
    Let everything happen to you: beauty and terror.
    Just keep going. No feeling is final.

--Rainer Maria Rilke

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Ick, hate the new bottle. They took a classic design and turned it into a cartoon.
    I don't care for it either. That giddy Dufy-esque signature line with the lips is awful.

ETA: And what in the world would "sea salt" contribute to the notes?
    Last edited by Bonnette; 22nd July 2021 at 06:02 PM.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

They gave it the Lady Gaga treatment.
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Varanis Ridari View Post
    They gave it the Lady Gaga treatment.
    And how!

Wonder what it smells like, although I'm not tempted to buy it. You'd think Molinard would have honored such a special anniversary with a retro crystal Lalique frieze bottle.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I don't care for it either.
    Me neither - ugly.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The Scented Devil
    Blog Entries

And how!

Wonder what it smells like, although I'm not tempted to buy it. You'd think Molinard would have honored such a special anniversary with a retro crystal Lalique frieze bottle.
    Too expensive really. Does Lalique even do much glass for other people anymore?
    Reviews Wordpress Archive here --> The Scented Devil Instagram here --> Varanis Ridari @the_scented_devil
    Not every discussion requires a winner and loser. There isn't always a right and wrong. Conversation is not a battlefield.
    Currently wearing: Aramis 900 by Aramis

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Me neither - ugly.
    What were they thinking? No serious admirer of Habanita and its venerable history could appreciate this, and I can't imagine a new audience being seduced by such a garish presentation.

I don't care about the bottle or particularly care about the scent either. I have a bottle of the edp that was a blind buy I've worn all of maybe 3 times in 10 years. I have to be in the mood for it. Unfortunately, that mood doesn't come too often. Not a fan of the house of Molinard in general, everything I've tried was sort of to meh, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    Currently wearing: Baiser Volé by Cartier

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
    I don't care about the bottle or particularly care about the scent either. I have a bottle of the edp that was a blind buy I've worn all of maybe 3 times in 10 years. I have to be in the mood for it. Unfortunately, that mood doesn't come too often. Not a fan of the house of Molinard in general, everything I've tried was sort of to meh, so maybe that has something to do with it.
    A lot of people don't get along with Habanita. Like Tabu, people seem to either love it or hate it. Those who love it tend to also give a nod to its history of graceful flacon designs, which makes this new bottle especially jarring. But the perfume itself might still smell good, which is why I'm wondering if anyone here has tried it.

I think Molinard, like so many other houses, has suffered a great deal from restrictions and reformulations. I was really looking forward to Cuir a few years ago, searched hard and finally found it stateside, and was quite disappointed by its ho-humness.

I’m not old, I’m vintage.

…scrolling through Habanita's page on Raiders of the Lost Scent, I was reminded of Molinard's claim that the original 1921 formula contained over 600 ingredients. Is that even possible? Surely it's hyperbole, intended to convey the idea of luxury and richness.
    It could be true—a few others have made similar claims—but since quantity ≠ quality, I’m not sure what the point is. FWIW, when I tried Habanita, it smelled like it would have benefited from having a few hundred ingredients removed.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It could be true—a few others have made similar claims—but since quantity ≠ quality, I’m not sure what the point is. FWIW, when I tried Habanita, it smelled like it would have benefited from having a few hundred ingredients removed.
    Made me snort.

I like Habanita though, just the way it is.
    ”I want all the perfumes”
    Currently wearing: Wazamba by Parfum d'Empire

Something Moschino could have made.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

One word for the bottle.

Yuck!
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

That bottle is not a good look!

Missing Oakmoss

Doubt this will be a big seller. Bottle designs are not deal-breakers for me, but there's a cognitive disconnect here that is as unsettling as Guerlain putting Samsara in a bee bottle.

They had another one with an art deco design on the bottle that looked better.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ParfumerieMolinard/posts/ Scroll down to a post dated 21 june.

The red one reminds me of the Crazy Horse a French cabaret, for some reason.
    Currently wearing: Classic Chypre by Esteban

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Parfum de peau View Post
    They had another one with an art deco design on the bottle that looked better.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/ParfumerieMolinard/posts/ Scroll down to a post dated 21 june.

The red one reminds me of the Crazy Horse a French cabaret, for some reason.
    On that Facebook page, they advertise the red bottle as an homage to the Crazy Horse years, but it doesn't evoke that era to me at all. Even worse is the surf 'n' turf bottle! Tastes are funny, for everyone who likes the centennial designs, there'll be someone else who doesn't. I would have preferred that they stick with black or crystal, but mainly I wonder how the fragrance has been affected by its reformulation.

On that Facebook page, they advertise the red bottle as an homage to the Crazy Horse years, but it doesn't evoke that era to me at all. Even worse is the surf 'n' turf bottle! Tastes are funny, for everyone who likes the centennial designs, there'll be someone else who doesn't. I would have preferred that they stick with black or crystal, but mainly I wonder how the fragrance has been affected by its reformulation.
    haha �� I didn’t notice the crazy horse reference on the FB page. I didn’t mean it entirely positively but I guess this is something about the French psyche
    Last edited by Parfum de peau; 25th July 2021 at 08:40 AM.
    Currently wearing: Classic Chypre by Esteban

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Parfum de peau View Post
    I didn’t mean it entirely positively but I get this is something about the French psyche
    Yes, I do understand what you mean, I just find it odd that Molinard would make such a pointed reference linking this fragrance to a cabaret that opened 30 years after the 1921 launch of Habanita as a perfumed sachet for cigarettes. Habanita began its life during the Jazz Age and grew up alongside the post-WWI Lost Generation, wafting through smoky bistros where one might bump into the Fitzgeralds, Gertrude Stein, Anais Nin, Picasso. It's an era and an atmosphere that resonates to my core. Oh well! Taking myself much too seriously here.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

You made me break out my 2012 EDP, and it's fantastic - aging spectacularly - much better than I remember from the last time I wore it, a few years ago.

I doubt that this new "non-flanker" is much off the lazy, shifting, wobbly trajectory of all the Habanitas over the years. Adding "salt and pepper" is almost a troll, going well with the troll bottle. Not sure I could detect the new additions among all the other stuff. But I must say, I love this "new retro" EDP.

Cevenol has great things to say about Habanita La Cologne, which I would suspect reinvents the EDT - I may do a blind buy on that one!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: L'Homme Lacoste by Lacoste

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    You made me break out my 2012 EDP, and it's fantastic - aging spectacularly - much better than I remember from the last time I wore it, a few years ago.

I doubt that this new "non-flanker" is much off the lazy, shifting, wobbly trajectory of all the Habanitas over the years. Adding "salt and pepper" is almost a troll, going well with the troll bottle. Not sure I could detect the new additions among all the other stuff. But I must say, I love this "new retro" EDP.

Cevenol has great things to say about Habanita La Cologne, which I would suspect reinvents the EDT - I may do a blind buy on that one!
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! The 2012 EDP does get better and better over time, and it was good to begin with - a reformulation that I have a hard time distinguishing from my 20s and 40s parfum versions. Nearly 9 years on, that 2012 EDP is a joy to wear.

I like what you say about the new salt/pepper notes and red bottle as trolling on Molinard's part. The whole presentation does convey that feeling.

Habanita La Cologne gets good reviews, yes - I probably won't do a blind buy on it, as I recently purchased an early 90s EDT that smells divine. I imagine you're right about La Cologne basically reinventing the EDT.