Code of Conduct

Default Best Rive Gauche Clone

I have been looking for a suitable replacement for the discontinued Rive Gauche for a couple of years. I have a mini of the real thing. Most the clones touted as perfect copies are far from it. Over the past week I have sampled and purchased a full bottle of Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CAD aftershave cologne. This is 100% the same as my miniature to my nose. It has good projection and lasts several hours. Those of you looking for Rive Gauche should look into this. They sell samples for 99 cents.

IMG_2542.jpg

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Best Rive Gauche Clone

Thanks for the review. For $1 there's no reason not to get a sample. I kinda miss my Mr. Fine American Blend clone so I'm up for another inexpensive take on RG.

Blog Entries

Upgrade to Beau de Jour (2020 signature edition)
    Last edited by NickZee; 22nd July 2021 at 11:11 PM.
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

No clone, but you might love these ones if you liked Rive Gauche:

Pascal Morabito - Or Black
    Penhaligon’s - Sartorial

If you want cleaner, mintier,more shaving foam like, I suggest The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon’s.

TF Beau de Jour will appear at some point in the comments, but I do not recommend that one, because it has some ambery sweetness in the base that ruins it for me. Furthermore, BdJ is way closer to Zino by Davidoff or TF Lavender Extreme, than it is to YSL Rive Gauche.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    TF Beau de Jour will appear at some point in the comments, but I do not recommend that one, because it has some ambery sweetness in the base that ruins it for me. Furthermore, BdJ is way closer to Zino by Davidoff or TF Lavender Extreme, than it is to YSL Rive Gauche.
    It's already been suggested Andy
    In any case, I have to agree with you about the filth that is BdJ. That fake lavender and irritating sweetness is not fooling me in any way. There is also an unconvincing patchouli in the base of this that reminds me of Bracken Man by Amouage and Fougere Royale by Houbigant. Both better overall scents than the Tom Ford

I think Fougere d'Argent is light years closer to Rive Gauche than BdJ. Having said that, it is still not a good alternative to the YSL by my standards.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

What about PPA's CaD EdP?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    Most the clones touted as perfect copies are far from it.
    Because IMO there's really no substitute.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Here we go haha

I think Fougere d'Argent is light years closer to Rive Gauche than BdJ. Having said that, it is still not a good alternative to the YSL by my standards.
    Agreed. A few alternatives, but no exact-identical clones on the market. But in all honesty, it doesn't really bother me, because I find the alternatives (Or Black or Sartorial) to be more interesting - to my nose - compared to RG.

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Upgrade to Beau de Jour
    +1 excellent upgrade and unique in it’s own way!
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Yup nothing ever comes close to the original of any fragrances they are blended in a way no one replicates.
    Currently wearing: Sauvage by Christian Dior

In any case, I have to agree with you about the filth that is BdJ. That fake lavender and irritating sweetness is not fooling me in any way. There is also an unconvincing patchouli in the base of this that reminds me of Bracken Man by Amouage and Fougere Royale by Houbigant. Both better overall scents than the Tom Ford

Rum,

Are you referring to BdJ (2020) or the BdJ Private Blend? I have not smelled the former but I very much enjoy the PB. I don't think it's a great substitute for RG however.

Quote Originally Posted by meadeweber View Post
    Rum,

Are you referring to BdJ (2020) or the BdJ Private Blend? I have not smelled the former but I very much enjoy the PB. I don't think it's a great substitute for RG however.
    Definitely the current stuff from the signature line. I can barely remember the PB version which was too long ago.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Thank you for the recommendation.
    So fare did find some of the if not downright the best alternatives to this in more pricey current counterparts of this like indeed Beau de Jour and Sartorial, do both second, while in a slightly more affordable category- most male scents from Scottish Fine Soaps like Thistle and Black Pepper.
    Currently wearing: Open by Roger & Gallet

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I concur.

I am not a big fan of Dua (or clone houses in general), but I have to admit that their Rive Gauche clone 'River Fougère' is actually pretty good. It has everything I enjoy from the original and has very strong performance. That way I can save the original for special occasions.

I also agree with Monsieur Andy that Beau de Jour is not that close to RG and is hampered by an unpleasant sweetness that simply does not suit the fragrance.

If you like the anise note of RG and don't want to go the clone route, I suggest the original Azzaro pour homme or the often overlooked Aramis Tuscany, although neither are super close to RG. Both are inexpensive and worth picking up if you want to build a collection with some old school barber shop style fragrances.

I ordinarily scoff at clones. But this one is really spot on. I compared side by side as well. I wouldn't being saying it was good unless it really was.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    No clone, but you might love these ones if you liked Rive Gauche:

Pascal Morabito - Or Black
    Penhaligon’s - Sartorial

If you want cleaner, mintier,more shaving foam like, I suggest The Tragedy of Lord George by Penhaligon’s.

Problem I had with Sartorial and Lord George is that they smell 10/10 in the first 30 minutes and then they turn flat. They are great for SAs because their most fascinating aspects present immediately on a blotter in-store.

As for the ambery sweetness you refer to in BdJ, that for me is the most appealing part which highlights that these matters are subjective. To me it is more of a coumarin sweetness which is not out of place in a fougere and it is accompanied by a phantom mossy note created by the clever use of patchouli.

I agree BdJ has some earthiness about it. It fades. But the old classic fougeres always had some filth about them. Applying this standard, Gucci Nobile is filthy as is Duc de Vervin as is Drakkar Noir - BdJ is not a vacuum distilled fougere but I find it nicely balanced, unlike Bracken Man which turns far too earthy for me. Have another go Rum, it might grow on you?
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator

Yes, if you're looking for a clone, Dua's River Fougère would be very hard to beat, not only for the price, but just the overall accuracy of Rive Gauche. Really very nice.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Dependent

How is the menthol in the CAD after shave? Noticeable?
    Currently wearing: Tiffany for Men by Tiffany

hello all. been a while. I wore L'immensite from LV and Jacques Belletrud the other day from a tester in the store. After the opening it reminded me heavily of RGPH. They share the same nose and he took the aromatic heart of RG and placed it inside L'Immensite...

Beau de Jour is interesting, and I'm not decided if I enjoy it completely or not yet. I'll have to get a 50ml at some point.

Tomorrow I’ll compare RG to Floris Elite side by side. I know they’re not the same but I haven’t been able to do the comparison until recently since I finally got a bottle of Elite.