Code of Conduct

Default Aldehyde C12 MNA

Hey

I've been working on an incense themed fragrance for a while and it's really nice, but could use a little oomph. Aldehyde C12 MNA is described as incensey. Could this material help the projection?

It sounds very versatile, in addition to incense, being useful for amber, ambergris, tobacco and moss, all things I like.

Other than to dilute the heck out of it, does anyone have advice on using this material?

I have C12 Lauric and very strongly dislike it. Even highly diluted, it seems to make everything smell like 1950s washing up liquid. This makes me kinda nervous about trying other aldehydes.
    Andy

Default Re: Aldehyde C12 MNA

It’s useful, very strong, one of the few things I keep at 1%.
    Taking that into consideration just buy a small sample, it’ll go a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    Hey

I've been working on an incense themed fragrance for a while and it's really nice, but could use a little oomph. Aldehyde C12 MNA is described as incensey. Could this material help the projection?

It sounds very versatile, in addition to incense, being useful for amber, ambergris, tobacco and moss, all things I like.

Other than to dilute the heck out of it, does anyone have advice on using this material?

I have C12 Lauric and very strongly dislike it. Even highly diluted, it seems to make everything smell like 1950s washing up liquid. This makes me kinda nervous about trying other aldehydes.
    From my experience if you don't like C12L you won't like MNA, it does remind of some wood-ish waxy element but it's still an aldehyde. I still think it's worth getting, I hated aldehydes at first but when dilluted and in tiny amount in a blend they work so nicely. Have you tried cashmeran maybe for incense oompf?

Thanks, that's a good shout on the cashmeran.

I guess, as with most things it's figuring out how to use them in a way that you like. I just haven't invested much time in getting to grips with the c12 lauric.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Casper_grassy View Post
    It’s useful, very strong, one of the few things I keep at 1%.
    Taking that into consideration just buy a small sample, it’ll go a long way.
    Thanks, yeah I was thinking 1%
    Andy

Kind of realized I didn’t answer your question at all.

It does also have the Familiar “numerical aldehyde” profile to it.

Try not to confuse “aldehyde” with a specific odor, remember vanillin and hydroxycitronellal are both aldehydes.

Anyways, I find it difficult to describe and/or go off descriptions for “numerical aldehydes”, (I have no idea what to call them) I find even diluted to 1% and lower I strongly dislike the smell, though I love what they do. Which brings me to my next point, I really find through trials is the best way to begin to understand them, at least for me.

I could never just sit there and take sniffs off a blotter.

For what you’re trying to do, it could absolutely work! Or not.

All depends, when I believe they could be appropriate and useful, i’ll dose them up until I can smell them. Then wait it out because for some reason they tend to get a little crazy during maturation. It seems either blend phenomenally or not at all.

But seriously if you have a few extra dollars I would pick up a sample of all of them. They are all useful honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper_grassy View Post
    Kind of realized I didn’t answer your question at all.

It does also have the Familiar “numerical aldehyde” profile to it.

Try not to confuse “aldehyde” with a specific odor, remember vanillin and hydroxycitronellal are both aldehydes.

Anyways, I find it difficult to describe and/or go off descriptions for “numerical aldehydes”, (I have no idea what to call them) I find even diluted to 1% and lower I strongly dislike the smell, though I love what they do. Which brings me to my next point, I really find through trials is the best way to begin to understand them, at least for me.

I could never just sit there and take sniffs off a blotter.

For what you’re trying to do, it could absolutely work! Or not.

All depends, when I believe they could be appropriate and useful, i’ll dose them up until I can smell them. Then wait it out because for some reason they tend to get a little crazy during maturation. It seems either blend phenomenally or not at all.

But seriously if you have a few extra dollars I would pick up a sample of all of them. They are all useful honestly.
    I have an interesting simple test actually, which made me love aldehydes:

Try a basic formula, like this (off the top of my head):

5 DHM
    10 ISO E SUPER
    10 HEDIONE
    20 GALAXOLIDE 50%
    5 LEMON EO

either do it twice or split it into 2, and leave as is for the first version and add a tiny amount of c12L (I'd maybe add 1 of C12L 10% or even less), and do a smell test (progessively, might have to wait a day or two) and see if you smell the difference. Honestly worth doing (I just hope my random formula is ok, maybe do it on one of your own formulas) because to me when I smell the aldehyde version it's more.. sparkly fresh? Makes you understand their use a bit more
    Hope this helps!

Yeah, it's weird that, when we talk about aldehyde it's this type that is generally meant, when lots of things are in fact aldehydes. I wonder why that is.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan.E View Post
    I have an interesting simple test actually, which made me love aldehydes:

Try a basic formula, like this (off the top of my head):

5 DHM
    10 ISO E SUPER
    10 HEDIONE
    20 GALAXOLIDE 50%
    5 LEMON EO

either do it twice or split it into 2, and leave as is for the first version and add a tiny amount of c12L (I'd maybe add 1 of C12L 10% or even less), and do a smell test (progessively, might have to wait a day or two) and see if you smell the difference. Honestly worth doing (I just hope my random formula is ok, maybe do it on one of your own formulas) because to me when I smell the aldehyde version it's more.. sparkly fresh? Makes you understand their use a bit more
    Hope this helps!
    Thanks. Yes that's a good idea. I'll do that.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuri-G View Post
    Thanks. Yes that's a good idea. I'll do that.
    Awesome, let me know what you think!!