Code of Conduct

Default I love YSL's Jazz, could you recommend me something similar?

And when I say similar I don't mean a dupe exactly, I mean something that in the same aromatic and woody genre?

Ever since I got a 80ml bottle of this the Christmas before last it has become my "signature" scent and is one of the main reasons I've been enjoying fragrances as a small side hobby this past year. I find it versatile enough to wear most days and nights, though I wouldn't wear it in the stinking heat. And though there's a stale note I get about 20 minutes in that lasts about a minute, it goes and at the dry down I get the same consistent scent for a long time. The longevity for my skin personally is up to 16 hours, so it's very dependable.

One sample I have that is really similar to me that I really like is TF's Italian Cypress, but that's discontinued and getting more expensive.

Based on all of your far more experienced noses, are there any scents you would recommend that you think I would enjoy based on my love for Jazz? What about a summer equivalent?

Thanks!
    Currently wearing: Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent

Default Re: I love YSL's Jazz, could you recommend me something similar?

Similar to Jazz, I would recommend that you try Chanel's Platinum Egoiste.

For similar to Italian Cypress, there is a less well known scent, Floris 1962, that many argue is better smelling than the Tom Ford. You might still be able to find a bottle of it though here and there.

Ralph Lauren Safari for Men is another to try that will get you in the ballpark of Jazz. Also Pasha de Cartier which leans more into fougere territory but they are all Aromatic, Woody and Spicy.

I would also recommend trying French Lover by Frederic Malle. Very woody and I have a feeling you’ll enjoy the drydown.
    Currently enjoying

Bois du Portugal / Aventus / Pour Monsieur / Boss Number One (current)
    Sagamore (vintage) / Bowling Green / Bright Neroli / Cool Water (vintage)
    Antaeus / Allure Homme / Jazz Club / Old Spice / Jubi XXV / Kouros

Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

V&A Tsar (especially the newer more diluted formula) is close to Jazz (Tsar is a sort of greener/woodsier interpretation).
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

I would recommend Pasha also.

I prefer The Third Man by Caron though -- a cheap(ish) gorgeous aromatic

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darvant View Post
    V&A Tsar (especially the newer more diluted formula) is close to Jazz (Tsar is a sort of greener/woodsier interpretation).
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Jazz is excellent though, I prefer it to both Live Jazz and Jazz Prestige.
    September Rotation

Cuir d'Ange / Etruscan Water / Carnal Flower / Bel Ami Vetiver / Vetiver Extraordinaire / Christopher Street
    Caron Third Man / Baie de Genievre / Cuiron / Rive Gauche pour Homme / Bois d'Armenie / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread

Safari to me is very similar, more so than Pasha or Tsar. Chances are you'd also like Soprani Uomo.
    Spray less, love more.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

V&A Tsar
    A very good suggestion
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Perhaps also to certain extents creed Royal Mayfair, both the masculine and also the feminine Toni Gard Mint, Cartier Roadster

For my nose, YSL's Jazz is very close to Safari for Men, Pasha de Cartier and Tsar. I own the latter 3 and have a decant of Jazz and they are all quite close to one another. I love Jazz but because I own full bottles of the others I just couldn't justify buying it. I think you will love any of those 3. I think Safari is probably the closest, but all 3 are right there.

I'd also recommend New West, Enrico Coveri pour homme and Xeryus by Givenchy. Similar genre to Jazz/Safari/Pasha/Tsar but these ones go in a slightly different direction, more herbal and drier but still a take on the aromatic & woody genre.

For what it's worth I wear all of these scents I mentioned in the summer. Maybe not if I were spending all day long baking in the sun but they perform perfectly on my workdays and my commute in to work, no matter the heat or humidity.
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see
    Currently wearing: JHL by Aramis

Telus by Liquides Imaginaires

Quote Originally Posted by SneakyDeaky View Post
    And when I say similar I don't mean a dupe exactly, I mean something that in the same aromatic and woody genre?
    I've never smelt VC&A Tsar, but it is often cited (again in this thread) as the fragrance standing the closest to YSL Jazz. That said it's discontinued, but you still might be able to some bottles on ebay around $100/150.

A good alternative is Pasha EDT by Cartier, that you can get for under $50 online. Not identical, but plays in the same ballpark. Another interesting one, that is even further (but still coriander-centric, like for Jazz) is Comore by Montana.

That said, if Jazz is now your signature, why not buying a few back up bottles since it's still available online, HERE for example?

Pasha
    Fougere Royale
    Patrick (to a lesser extent than the others)
    Tsar (if you can get it)

For something a little off the beaten track, try Francesco Smalto... kind of like a smoky Jazz.
    In rotation: Lapidus PH Sport, Royal Copenhagen Musk, Jaguar, Greenbriar, Tricorn, Xeryus, Declaration EDT, Patrick, Open Black, Fahrenheit

Taylor of Old Bond St - Mr. Taylor aftershave splash is similar, if not a bit more fresh.

The EdC is most likely the same.

This would be a good alternative.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

As per other posters, if my memory serves me well enough then I agree with the Tsar recommendation as being similar to Jazz
    Currently wearing: Terre d'Hermès by Hermès

Francesco Smalto PH

Best Regards.