Code of Conduct

Default Blind purchases you regret

Hello everyone !

I thought it could be interesting sharing our experiences with blind buy which doesn't match what we were waiting for before the purchase.

For me:

- Azzaro Silver Black (aka Onyx): too floral; I couldn't wear it.

- Aramis 900: same reason.

- Xeryus (Givenchy, last edition): it didn't last long.

Feel free to add yours !

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Blind purchases you regret

I wouldn't say regret, but many didn't really click so I sold or swapped them -

Krizia Moods Uomo - a bit too fruity (prefer Music for a While in this vein)

YSL Pour Homme - fusty lemon

Capucci pour Homme - fusty lemon

Oscar de La Renta Pour Lui - similar to Antaeus and I like Antaeus more

Eau de Patou - smelled different from sample, now I wonder if the sample I had had was actually current version (the sample had a good slug of moss, the vintage bottle didn't)

Coriolan - just don't like this fragrance, a tinny metallic thing (something like Jazz just way better)

Monsieur Balmain - fusty lemon

Patou Voyageur - nice, but better modern aquatics in this vein

Charles Jourdan Un Homme - quite good, sort of a spicy Rive Gauche pour Homme. I prefer Rive Gauche pour Homme so didn't keep it.

Live Jazz - I appreciate it, it's well crafted, different, but it never put a spring in my steps

... to name a few.

On the contrary there are a few I regret selling / swapping, and would want to have them back -

Jazz
    Carven Homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Versace L'Homme
    M7
    Midnight in Paris
    Gucci pour Homme II (maybe)
    September Rotation

Cuir d'Ange / Etruscan Water / Carnal Flower / Bel Ami Vetiver / Vetiver Extraordinaire / Christopher Street
    Caron Third Man / Baie de Genievre / Cuiron / Rive Gauche pour Homme / Bois d'Armenie / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Cuiron by Helmut Lang

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    I wouldn't say regret, but many didn't really click so I sold or swapped them -

Krizia Moods Uomo - a bit too fruity (prefer Music for a While in this vein)

YSL Pour Homme - fusty lemon

Capucci pour Homme - fusty lemon

Oscar de La Renta Pour Lui - similar to Antaeus and I like Antaeus more

Eau de Patou - smelled different from sample, now I wonder if the sample I had had was actually current version (the sample had a good slug of moss, the vintage bottle didn't)

Coriolan - just don't like this fragrance, a tinny metallic thing (something like Jazz just way better)

Monsieur Balmain - fusty lemon

Patou Voyageur - nice, but better modern aquatics in this vein

Charles Jourdan Un Homme - quite good, sort of a spicy Rive Gauche pour Homme. I prefer Rive Gauche pour Homme so didn't keep it.

Live Jazz - I appreciate it, it's well crafted, different, but it never put a spring in my steps

... to name a few.

On the contrary there are a few I regret selling / swapping, and would want to have them back -

Jazz
    Carven Homme
    Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme
    Versace L'Homme
    M7
    Midnight in Paris
    Gucci pour Homme II (maybe)
    Very interesting, Freewheelingvagabond. Thanks to you, I've learned a new word: "fusty" !

Now you're saying Capucci pour Homme is fusty, I must admit you're right. I'm wearing it today, but I think this is what pleases me in Capucci.

I agree with you about Coriolan; I just dislike it.

From the ones you regret selling or swapping, I love and wear Jazz, Carven Homme, Versace L'homme. I don't know the others.

I take it you mean vintage purchases?

None that I regret to the point of wanting to sell or not wanting to wear them but:

Eau de Rochas pour Homme - quite a concentrated/dense scent much more so than fresh, so I'm wondering if the juice has turned
    Tsar - I actually like it but the longevity is perplexingly poor (maybe I'm anosmic to the musk, who knows)
    Spazio Krizia - I don't like the fact that I paid 70 euros for it. I wouldn't have bought it had I sampled first. This leans on a warm gourmand direction more so than fresh, which was a surprise
    Xeryus - I bought it mostly for nostalgia's sake, so it was a blind buy of sorts. It's flamboyant in a way that doesn't necessarily fit my style (Antaeus is another)
    Giorgio V.I.P. - not bad but I paid too much for the 30ml. I prefer the original Giorgio for Men.
    Spray less, love more.

Quote Originally Posted by motorcade View Post
    I take it you mean vintage purchases?
    Indeed, I forgot to mention it. Sorry !

Missing Oakmoss

I don't regret any of them, because my mistakes have taught me so much about how to make better choices.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

"Regret" doesn't quite fit any vintage perfume I've purchased.

Some are clearly bigger hits than others, but in some cases this is comparing two versions of the same thing (e.g., Miss Dior Parfum).

I did go off Van Cleef and Arpels after having acquired a few bottles, so that was bordering on regret.

Coriolan is one I never wear, so that could count. But I still find it interesting, and it's just a small bottle (30 ml), so I'm actually happy with it.

The Five Star version of Bijan for Men wasn't great, but I was curious, and it was cheap, so no regrets.

Sometimes, the bottle I purchased didn't seem as nice as the sample I had tried: Gianfranco Ferre for Man, Bugatti, Guerlain Heritage, and L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme (that last one is not vintage by the 20-year measure).

I have not clicked with Leonard Pour Homme, but again: small bottle (maybe 50 ml), so no worries, and I think I might like it more in the future.

Burberry for Men (1992, the Blue Knight) has been struggling for wearing time, but I've had lovely moments with it, so I'm sanguine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I don't regret any of them, because my mistakes have taught me so much about how to make better choices.
    Yes. Another way to think about is that if I had never blind bought anything, I would have missed the gems among the blind buys (one notable example being Monsieur Carven). Hence the not-so-successful blind buys are sort of the price you have to pay. And I concur that in that sense it's not really something to regret. I've managed to avoid outright catastrophes by careful research beforehand.
    Spray less, love more.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

No blind buy regrets for me thankfully.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

The word "regret" is maybe a tad stronger. I meant: some perfumes that didn't fit our expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette

Very wisely said.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Jean-Sté View Post
    The word "regret" is maybe a tad stronger. I meant: some perfumes that didn't fit our expectations.
    That sounds like a more fitting title.

Some I sold off, others I'm hanging on to hoping I'll come around to liking then one day

YSL Jazz
    Dunhill Blend 30
    Kouros Fraîcheur
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Monsieur Carven
    Équipage
    Eau d'Hermès
    Égoïste / Égoïste Cologne Concentrée
    Patou pour Homme (original)

Basenotes Member tinfoilhatdude's Avatar

This is the list I regret buying, because my wife didn't like them so I had to sell or trade them. I regret buying them because it would have been better never to have tried them:

YSL Jazz
    Carven Homme
    YSL Pour Homme vintage
    Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme vintage
    L'Instandt De Guerlain "vintage"
    Lanvin Arpege
    Currently wearing: L'Anarchiste by Caron

Yes, a few:

Mac - My Heroine (chemical mess)
    Guerlain - Ambre Eternel (cloying sweet fruity peach and cinnamom, I don't get leather or ambergris)
    Trussardi - L'Uomo (tomato juice in a copper calice - I appreciate the art, but doesn;t work for me)
    MFK - Amyris (niche to please generic tonka lover masses)
    Ulrich Lang - Anvers (sweet mess)
    Dior - Homme Eau (base is too sweet)
    Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles EDC (hard to wear, not because of supposedly animalic facet, but because it's heavy/perfumy - and feminine)
    Carner - Cuirs (unacceptable low performance at that price point, and smells really artificial)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFrank75 View Post
    That sounds like a more fitting title.

Some I sold off, others I'm hanging on to hoping I'll come around to liking then one day

YSL Jazz
    Dunhill Blend 30
    Kouros Fraîcheur
    Allure Homme Edition Blanche
    Monsieur Carven
    Équipage
    Eau d'Hermès
    Égoïste / Égoïste Cologne Concentrée
    Patou pour Homme (original)
    Was it VINTAGE Eau d'Hermes?
    Currently wearing: 1000 by Jean Patou

I've never blind bought any fragrances.

However I experienced a few duds when it comes how well scents are preserved.

One of my Vol de Nuit bottles from the 1930s turned but I knew there was a good chance of that happening. My other Vol de Nuit bottle also from the 1930s was in good shape.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    Was it VINTAGE Eau d'Hermes?
    Yep. It's not that I didn't like the scent, but the performance on my skin was very short lived.