Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guerlain, Frederic Malle, & Other Recent News

I'm not sure how many have been paying attention, but around a year ago there was a post on Frederic Malle's social media accounts alluding to Dries Van Noten, and Superstitious being discontinued -- something to the effect of "get them while you can". We've seen now that Dries Van Noten is official done for, but Superstitious has still been up in the air. It's been sold out on their website for months now, but then again that's the same story for many French houses at the moment. I just saw the most recent post on the perfume blog Persolaise.com where there's even more reason to believe Superstitious is done for. With how vibrant & just hugely floral the perfume is I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't sell all too much in the five years it's been around, and it does seem to be one of the lesser sold Malle's on second hand sites, so get it while you can before people start scalping them.

375x500.41322.jpg

In other news Guerlain seems to be raising their prices significantly on the Art & Material line, but it's unknown at the moment if that price raise will apply to the other lines. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw that for the desert collection as well. I know that Chanel has raised the prices on their Exclusifs line in other countries, and it's only a matter of time until it hits in the USA as well. It seems if you have your eye on a exclusive line perfume that now may be the time to get it. There's currently a $50 off 250 sale going on at Saks which may help the sting of a high priced perfume purchase.

70_1.jpg

Anyways, what other perfume industry related news have you Basenoters heard? The only other somewhat significant one I've heard is Hermes is no longer selling many of their older scents from the 1950's-1980's in America any more once they sell out of the current stock. I know a member in Miami informed us the Kurkdjian boutique had many of the now seemingly discontinued scents still for sale, so it'll be interesting to see if those become available again, or if they're done for once stock sells out. It seems that this year may not be the best for perfume nerds.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Guerlain, Frederic Malle, & Other Recent News

As far as the Malle, the Guelains and the Chanel Exclusives, I'm thankful as there are none of those missing in my collection.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post

Anyways, what other perfume industry related news have you Basenoters heard? The only other somewhat significant one I've heard is Hermes is no longer selling many of their older scents from the 1950's-1980's in America any more once they sell out of the current stock. I know a member in Miami informed us the Kurkdjian boutique had many of the now seemingly discontinued scents still for sale, so it'll be interesting to see if those become available again, or if they're done for once stock sells out. It seems that this year may not be the best for perfume nerds.
    So no more Eau d'Hermes in America?
    Currently wearing: Tabac Blond by Caron

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    That's actually the only one I know for certain is gone, because truth be told it's the only one I care about. I stocked up myself last year.

Basenotes Plus

I noticed recently that l’Artisan has discontinued Drôle de Rose. I think they may have discontinued it when they discontinued Dzing!, and though there was talk here on BN about Dzing!’s discontinuation, Drôle de Rose’s discontinuation seems to have gone largely unnoticed, perhaps because not as many people own this scent, especially men. It’s an incredibly feminine perfume.

I’m a fan of the scent and do think it’s unfortunate it’s no longer available as it’s one of l’Artisan’s older scents from when they were one of the best niche houses around, and it’s historically significant in that it was the first real lipstick/make-up inspired perfume. It also serves as a lighthearted, cheerful pick-me-up in the dead of winter. That said, I’m happy with my 50ml bottle at the moment and don’t feel I need to hunt down any back-ups.

Otherwise it’s actually been a good year for me perfume-wise as I’ve expanded my collection and have been able to find a lot of perfumes that have been discontinued.

In other news Guerlain seems to be raising their prices significantly on the Art & Material line, but it's unknown at the moment if that price raise will apply to the other lines.
    For whatever it's worth, I was told by a contact in Paris that they will be retiring the 75ml bottles from this line and replacing them with 100ml and 200ml options. So my assumption is that the volume change accounts for much of the price increase.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    For whatever it's worth, I was told by a contact in Paris that they will be retiring the 75ml bottles from this line and replacing them with 100ml and 200ml options. So my assumption is that the volume change accounts for much of the price increase.
    That would be reasonable -- especially since the price I heard was going to be $360 for a bottle. If that bottle is a 200ml size, then we're all good. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see.

Basenotes Plus

I am really relieved that 24 Faubourg is safe then! That might possibly be the Hermes perfume I like the most!
    I'm guessing maybe Caleche might be gone then. :/ TBH, I think Kelly Caleche was the one I liked more anyway. :/
    I'd be surprised if they took Amazone out of their collection though..that one was only just re-released in 2017! (Although yes..originally it's a 1970's perfume.)
    Actually..I'm sort of surprised to hear about this at all..I always had the sense that Hermes was one of the bigger sellers here as far as fine fragrance goes. :/
    (I'm basing that on the fact that the line is actually sold here in Canada in stores, whereas there are lots of fragrance lines that aren't!)
    Maybe not the older scents so much though. :/

The only other somewhat significant one I've heard is Hermes is no longer selling many of their older scents from the 1950's-1980's in America any more once they sell out of the current stock. I know a member in Miami informed us the Kurkdjian boutique had many of the now seemingly discontinued scents still for sale, so it'll be interesting to see if those become available again, or if they're done for once stock sells out. It seems that this year may not be the best for perfume nerds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    That's actually the only one I know for certain is gone, because truth be told it's the only one I care about. I stocked up myself last year.
    I wonder if that has anything to do with the extreme lack of Hermes stock here in the UK for Bel Ami, Equipage and all their flankers. No offence to our American members, but it if it's just the Americas that are not getting these bottles, I wouldn't be too concerned. If it was an outright discontinuation world-wide, I will be livid. That would be another of my favourite brands down the drain.

I'm tempted by the new version of Racquets -- will test at least

Penhaligons are also releasing a new one called Constantinople which you'd think would be spicy but the notes don't sound it.

Guerlain have a couple of new Aqua Allegoria's but for me they are just a notch up from spritzes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Penhaligons are also releasing a new one called Constantinople which you'd think would be spicy but the notes don't sound it.
    How comes I never heard about this one? Would be keen to test this for sure

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    How comes I never heard about this one? Would be keen to test this for sure
    There's a review on Now Smell This

Pink Pepper, Lavender
    Rose, Iris
    Vanilla, Patchouli and Moss

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    In addition, according to a rep here, Guerlain is intending to gradually make their bottles refillable, starting with L’Art et la Matière line, of which the bottles’ shape will be changed.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

From The Time of the Dragon by
    Dorothy Eden

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    There's a review on Now Smell This

Pink Pepper, Lavender
    Rose, Iris
    Vanilla, Patchouli and Moss
    Thank you!
    Quick search seems to suggest it is exclusive to Harrods for the time being

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    In addition, according to a rep here, Guerlain is intending to gradually make their bottles refillable, starting with L’Art et la Matière line, of which the bottles’ shape will be changed.
    Seem to have come full circle then, from the very first ones that came with a screw cap, a spray cap and a bulb atomizer. Loved that format.

Quote Originally Posted by uhbhatti88 View Post
    Seem to have come full circle then, from the very first ones that came with a screw cap, a spray cap and a bulb atomizer. Loved that format.
    Exactly. Ironic, isn’t it? They could have quit while they were ahead!

Dorothy Eden

Now I understand what the Bergdorf SA meant when she said l’Art et la Matière was being discontinued - just the current packaging. Refillable is good, although as uhbhatti88 pointed out the original packaging was just that.

My House of Fraser had the range and suddenly when we opened after lockdown December 20 - end of May 21 the stand disappeared. I asked the manager who I know quite welll, he just said Guerlain pulled the stock and had no idea if or when it was coming back?
    DONNA

I wonder if the Guerlain "Les Parisiens" will come back? As of now they seem to be completely discontinued. I was kicking myself because several months ago Neiman and Bloomingdales had Derby available online and I almost bought it but I didn't want to blind buy. But now they have totally disappeared from sight.
    "Artists talk a lot about freedom. So, recalling the expression "free as a bird," Morton Feldman went to a park one day and spent some time watching our feathered friends. When he came back, he said, "You know? They're not free: they're fighting over bits of food."

Dependent

You mean, they will RETURN to making them refillable??? Wow - it's like we've gone back in time! But I'm going to guess (based on previous changes) that these will be bee bottles.

ETA - as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short - others had already made this observation...ignore me...I do!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    You mean, they will RETURN to making them refillable??? Wow - it's like we've gone back in time! But I'm going to guess (based on previous changes) that these will be bee bottles.

ETA - as usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short - others had already made this observation...ignore me...I do!
    The SA said that the L’Art et la Matière bottles are going to be shorter and more squat (more stable) and possibly a larger quantity but she wasn’t too precise about the shape.

Dorothy Eden

The SA said that the L’Art et la Matière bottles are going to be shorter and more squat (more stable) and possibly a larger quantity but she wasn’t too precise about the shape.
    I hope they're an interesting shape, and not just a cube or something. Guerlain has the best vintage bottles (other than maybe Dali parfums, and the Chanel No. 5 flask), but the newer bottles aren't too great.

Dependent

Maybe they'll do the Quadrolobes? (forgive the spelling)

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr1973 View Post
    Maybe they'll do the Quadrolobes? (forgive the spelling)
    Similar to the one they put that special edition of Santal Royal in -- that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by akadem View Post
    Well look at that. I've not seen this picture yet. What a wonderful set of bottles much better than the bottles of the old. I'm going to guess those lids are customizable, and perhaps a part of the $100 price hike.

They look like squatter copies of the Givenchy exclusive bottles to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    Aw come on cazaubon that's such a cynical view. I won't sit here and say they're the most creative thing I mean they're nothing compared to the bread loaf/heart bottles of Mitsouko, but they're not bad. I think they're way better than a rectangle bottle with gold plaques cheaply glued on, and maybe I'm incorrect in assuming this, but the what looks like customization is cool. I wanted to get a bottle of Angelique Noire, but I'd wait until these came out to get that black bee cap.

Regarding Malle: Music for a While was also discontinued.

I suppose when niche houses such as Malle or MFK discontinue a product it remains available for some time because they'd rather keep brand exclusivity by shifting remaining stock through official channels rather than flooding the grey market.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast