Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Out of Time: The Allure of Smelling Retro

Pretty interesting topic. Believe it or not, now I find Allure Homme Sport smelling a bit dated. Still a lot of gym rats wear it.
    I don’t understand.It is so vast that surpasses all understanding.Understanding is always limited.But not understanding can have no boundaries.I feel like I'm much more complete when I don't understand.Not understanding,like I say,is a gift.Not understanding,but not as a simple-minded.The good thing is to be intelligent and not understand.It's a strange blessing, like having craziness without being crazy.It is a meek disinterest,it is a stupid sweetness.
    Currently wearing: Grey Vetiver by Tom Ford

Sure-smelling retro is fun. But more than anything, like Bavard, I just like what I like, regardless of whether it’s considered dated. Love me some Mitsouko. But also love modern houses producing high quality or retro-style pieces, such as Mito or Chypre Siam.
    My only regrets in life are the people I haven't stood up for,
    and the perfumes I've thrown away.

Basenotes Plus

I don't think fragrance should have a period attached to it if you are an enthusiast. I accept the majority thinking that limits fragrance to "boxes". I accept both that fragrances had periods of popularity and that there is no "time" attached to what smells great.
    Currently wearing: Beach Hut Man by Amouage

When wearing YSL Pour Homme or L'Heure Bleu. I feel myself trapped in a time warp, same goes with Kouros or Yatagan!
    Last edited by bibo; 13th September 2021 at 12:24 PM.

I actually really don't like to smell retro and it prevents me from buying some classics whose importance I respect but don't think I'd wear because they smell dated.

That said, some classic fragrance have aged well and still smell modern which only makes me appreciate them more.

Probably the most retro smelling thing I own is Guerlain Lui, which is not that old but the carnation and spice made it feel old school to me. I like it, but also probably would not have bought it for more than the $60 I paid, because of it's retro nature, I don't quite feel it's "me" although I do enjoy smelling it.
    "Artists talk a lot about freedom. So, recalling the expression "free as a bird," Morton Feldman went to a park one day and spent some time watching our feathered friends. When he came back, he said, "You know? They're not free: they're fighting over bits of food."

Default Out of Time: The Allure of Smelling Retro

Except for the prohibitive price tag they fetch in the secondary market, it doesn’t hurt to try vintage frags. These frags conjure 60s and 70s protests and creativity to me rather than mad men macho types.
    Currently wearing: Acier Aluminium by Creed

I can only think of two or three that I hanker after now although I understand the appeal of 'retro'. Maybe our memories of them are affected by nostalgia.

I don't want to live in the past -- I like trying new creations.

Whether a fragrance smells "current" or "retro" is not something I ever consider or have ever considered.
    Last edited by ultravisitor; 13th September 2021 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bibo View Post
    When wearing YSL Pour Homme or L'Heure Bleu. I feel myself trapped in a time warp, same goes with Kouros or Yatagan!
    Yes, just like feeling trapped in a time warp!

I almost always regret wearing a retro scent just shortly after application. The older I get, I realize that nostalgia is a dangerous trap and I feel healthier mentally when I focus on moving forward. So, it's on to the new and improved for me most of the time. When I say "retro", I'm talking about the scents that I wore back in the 80's and 90's.
    Currently wearing: Red Tobacco by Mancera

Blog Entries

Basenotes members definitely have higher expectations than the typical social media reader, but lots of houses are catering to those expectations and it would be a shame to ignore their efforts while we keep going around in circles discussing Azzaro and Giorgio and Kouros and Polo etc
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: Aoud Leather by Montale

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I agree with OP. They can be distracting when I wear them at work or when out socializing.

But in my alone down time, they take me back to a nostalgic era. I started wearing fragrances as a teen with stuff like Cool Water and Curve. But the previous two decades is what I have an affinity for. I have little nostalgia for my actual era (the 90s).

Drakkar Noir, Polo, Kouros, Azzaro Pour Homme, and oddly enough Brut, remind me of Lamborghini's, New Wave music, bomber jackets, Pac-Man, country clubs, and tennis.

Z-14, 1-12 and Paco Rabanne Pour Homme remind of Three's Company, shag carpets, Atari 2600, and disco.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I almost always regret wearing a retro scent just shortly after application. The older I get, I realize that nostalgia is a dangerous trap and I feel healthier mentally when I focus on moving forward.
    And I agree with this. I was on a retro kick since I signed up here, but for me, it feels odd to be going backwards fashion-wise. I might prefer old school scents, but I feel cleaner and more confident wearing newer stuff.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    Yatagan, Giorgio for men, Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui, Quorum make me travel back in time, so I'm not able to wear them if not in my leisure time.

Anyway i still feel the allure of smelling "Retro"!!!

What's your take on this?

Any similar experience?
    I very much relate to it. Vintage scents are sometimes time capsules, even though I weren't wearing them (or even born then) when they came out. They are a sort of an escape mechanism. At the psychological core of it is a romanticization. And that's done best in leisure time.
    September Rotation

Cuir d'Ange / Etruscan Water / Carnal Flower / Bel Ami Vetiver / Vetiver Extraordinaire / Christopher Street
    Caron Third Man / Baie de Genievre / Cuiron / Rive Gauche pour Homme / Bois d'Armenie / Vanille Tonka

Perfume Reviews
    Sale Thread
    Swap Thread
    Wanted Thread
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami Vetiver by Hermès

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2