Code of Conduct

Default Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana (1989) EdT

Here's the original, and despite the Parfum in the name it is an EdT. A complex and somewhat heavy list of notes (especially the base), typical of 80's scents.
    Smells pretty good going on, briefly reminds me a bit of Gucci Nobile! Lots of notes swirling around -- herbal, powder, peppery spices. Props to it for having pine needles in the mid mix -- not sure I can detect them as a distinct note. Base is bit metallic (perhaps the patchouli) and also has some warm vanilla and salty moss. A little heavier and sweeter than I like, but it is a good scent and typical of its time. For me, one spritz is quite enough. I think the dry-down will be interesting as it mellows and develops. Certainly a cool-weather scent.

Top Notes: Citrus, Aldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Lavender, Pepper, Cinnamon
    Heart Notes: Rose, Jasmine, Carnation, Geranium, Nasturtium, Pine needle
    Base notes: Amber, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Default Re: Montana Parfum d'Homme (original) by Montana (1989) EdT

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Here's the original, and despite the Parfum in the name it is an EdT. A complex and somewhat heavy list of notes (especially the base), typical of 80's scents.
    Smells pretty good going on, briefly reminds me a bit of Gucci Nobile! Lots of notes swirling around -- herbal, powder, peppery spices. Props to it for having pine needles in the mid mix -- not sure I can detect them as a distinct note. Base is bit metallic (perhaps the patchouli) and also has some warm vanilla and salty moss. A little heavier and sweeter than I like, but it is a good scent and typical of its time. For me, one spritz is quite enough. I think the dry-down will be interesting as it mellows and develops. Certainly a cool-weather scent.

Top Notes: Citrus, Aldehydes, Bergamot, Tarragon, Lavender, Pepper, Cinnamon
    Heart Notes: Rose, Jasmine, Carnation, Geranium, Nasturtium, Pine needle
    Base notes: Amber, Oakmoss, Labdanum, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Vanilla
    Original compared to what? I doubt it was ever reformulated, and if it did, they did a very good job, in view of the great juice I bought 2-3 years ago!
    Currently wearing: B-612 by Nishane

As I understand it, the "original" is in a red box. A later or different version with a very similar name is in a blue box.
    The red box says Montana Paris Parfum D'Homme. A sticker on the bottom of that bottle says Montana Homme EdT. And the glass top has Montana in gold lettering.
    The blue box (which is a bit fancier, with gold lettering and a cut-out in gold of the bottle) says Montana Homme. Gold letters on the bottom of the bottle say EdT Parfums Claude Montana. The top of the bottle has no lettering.
    The scents are very different. The red one is rich and powerful. The blue one is much more restrained and green.
    I like both.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

My dear Odysseus, Montana Parfum d’ Homme and Montana pour Homme are two completely different perfumes. It is a common mistake to name Parfum d’ Homme “original” because the majority thinks that what appeared later is a reformulation or a flanker.
    The truth is that the only flanker of Montana Parfum d‘ Homme was Montana Parfum d‘ Homme light and all the other Montana‘s that followed, even if they share the same gorgeous bottle, are different perfumes.
    Montana Parfum d‘ Homme is one of the most complex perfumes I have ever smelled and I personally never made a connection to Gucci Nobile. I will agree with you that you have to wait for the dry down which is the most beautiful part of the evolution.

MM

Here is the benefit of sharing information -- we can learn new things. Thanks so much, Monsieur Montana. As I was engaging with the scents, I felt that the scenario you suggest was the case. Previously, I had been guided by the Basenotes database title "Montana Parfum d'Homme (original)" which to me suggested that the next entry "Montana pour Homme" was a new version.
    I did enjoy the dry down for several hours, and I have a new appreciation for this scent.
    Cheers!
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    My dear Odysseus, Montana Parfum d’ Homme and Montana pour Homme are two completely different perfumes. It is a common mistake to name Parfum d’ Homme “original” because the majority thinks that what appeared later is a reformulation or a flanker.
    The truth is that the only flanker of Montana Parfum d‘ Homme was Montana Parfum d‘ Homme light and all the other Montana‘s that followed, even if they share the same gorgeous bottle, are different perfumes.
    Montana Parfum d‘ Homme is one of the most complex perfumes I have ever smelled and I personally never made a connection to Gucci Nobile. I will agree with you that you have to wait for the dry down which is the most beautiful part of the evolution.

MM
    Definitely two different (very different) fragrances, the blue-box Montana Pour Homme is musky and cardamomish, sharing common elements with Cartier Declaration under my profane nose.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is the benefit of sharing information -- we can learn new things. Thanks so much, Monsieur Montana. As I was engaging with the scents, I felt that the scenario you suggest was the case. Previously, I had been guided by the Basenotes database title "Montana Parfum d'Homme (original)" which to me suggested that the next entry "Montana pour Homme" was a new version.
    I did enjoy the dry down for several hours, and I have a new appreciation for this scent.
    Cheers!
    Hi dear Odysseusm, I appreciate a lot your historic passionate contribution here on Basenotes (especially on your beloved woodsy/coniferous fragrances which you are fond about and a pillar of informations).
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Cheers!
    You are most welcome Odysseus!
    Indeed, sharing information is a wonderful thing and I am grateful for your contribution over the years.
    I am very glad that we have a new Montana fan with us!

MM

As I understand it, the "original" is in a red box. A later or different version with a very similar name is in a blue box.
    The red box says Montana Paris Parfum D'Homme. A sticker on the bottom of that bottle says Montana Homme EdT. And the glass top has Montana in gold lettering.
    The blue box (which is a bit fancier, with gold lettering and a cut-out in gold of the bottle) says Montana Homme. Gold letters on the bottom of the bottle say EdT Parfums Claude Montana. The top of the bottle has no lettering.
    The scents are very different. The red one is rich and powerful. The blue one is much more restrained and green.
    I like both.
    I'm not sure what the shape of the bottle is suppose to refer to. Own a bottle myself with the red box.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35