Code of Conduct

Default Help with finding a perfume

Iíd love some input to find a great perfume. I donít really love most perfumes on the shelves that are popular. (Pretty much none of the big names at any cosmetic counter) I do however love almost every Parisians scent passing by them on the street. I have liked a couple of Carven perfumes and was also thinking of trying Sillages Paris where they create a scent for you. I have even thought about just making the perfume myself since I canít find what Iím looking for. Any help or possible suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Help with finding a perfume

Where do you live and what is your price point? Depending, one might be able to suggest places and things to try.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Margot1 View Post
    and was also thinking of trying Sillages Paris where they create a scent for you.
    Yes they're worth a try if you have the ability to find them near you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Welsome to basenotes, Margot!

Are you able to say what kinds of notes you prefer, or give the names of any perfumes you do enjoy? There is such a vast choice out there that a starting point is essential, if you want recommendations.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks for the replies!
    I live in the Outer Banks of North Carolina so we are very limited here. Pretty much only options of perfume are Ulta and a department store Belk. I do go up to Virginia to do most shopping but even then not so great unless I drive much further north. I haven’t thought much about a price point, the most I might spend on a really good perfume would probably be $250.

Sillages allows me to get some samples online sent to me but I won’t be traveling to Paris anytime soon, so online samples would be only way I could try it.

And I’m a bit limited on the perfumes I’ve liked. The last two I’ve had were both Carven. The Le Parfum and the L’Absolu. Learning about what scent profiles I may be into, I like floral, oriental, gourmand and woody. But nothing too overpowering and old lady-just would love a good balance

Serge Lutens have Discovery and Miniature Sets for sale -- they have some great fragrances

https://www.sergelutens.com/eur/

Thanks! I’ve always wanted to try them, but haven’t seen them anywhere close to here. I’ll check it out thanks!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

A couple top picks from our bottles on hand for the Parisian style are Prada Infusion d'Iris and Chanel No. 5.

IMG_6344.jpg

I'm not sure if the Prada edp absolue version shown is still available retail. I like older bottles of No. 5 like this that you can find online for good deals (eBay, Etsy, etc.).

Thanks! I’ve always wanted to try them, but haven’t seen them anywhere close to here. I’ll check it out thanks!
    I was thinking online -- they have USA on their dropdown menu, but I'm not sure.

I haven’t tried the Prada, but I haven’t loved the Chanel no5 perfumes. Of course I’ve only tried the newer versions of the last few years. Also how does the older bottles hold up? I’ve always thought perfumes can go bad after so long a time?

Blog Entries

Surrender to Chance have some great little sampler packs featuring most of the different genres here: http://www.surrendertochance.com/sam...lphaasc&page=1

This might be a good starting point to find out more about what you like.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

I see they have two options for a sampler- one is noir that seems heavier and the discovery politesse which seems very light. I’m not sure which I would try. I’m looking for not too heavy(everyone n room smells you no matter where you are, but not to fresh and light) more of pass me on the street and get a small glimpse of scent

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I’ve always thought perfumes can go bad after so long a time?
    The good ones seem to get better with age.

The Surrender to Chance site is great for getting samples.

Interesting and good to know about getting better with age, kinda like wine. Thanks!

$250 is quite a good budget (though sadly many brands are above that price level). Just to toss in another brands selling large sample sets, I quite like Etat Libre d'Orange. I also agree that Lutens was the king of floriental-woody-gourmand, but I am not fond of the recent ones, plus the price can be quite high.

I don't know NC much. The niche perfume stores I know are here in DC's suburbs, quite far away.

cacio

Ok thanks I’ll check that out. Typically I’ve spent $100-140 for perfume but I’m willing to splurge on something I really love. Yeah not many options here unfortunately and would much prefer to smell them all in person but will have to settle for trial and error online

Ok first- thanks so much for all your help! I’ve decided to try a little of all your suggestions.
    I ordered the almost complete collection set from Etat Libre d’orange which will give me 20 of their samples.
    I also ordered 3 different sampler sets from surrender to chance which includes 20 samples:

Arquiste Infanta en Flor
    Caron Narcisse Noir EDT
    Dior Grand Bal
    Jo Malone Orange Blossom
    Hermes 24, Faubourg
    Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs
    L'Artisan Seville l'Aube
    Narciso Rodriguez EDT
    Serge Lutens Fleurs d'Oranger
    Tom Ford Neroli Portofino

Serge Lutens Sarrasins
    Serge Lutens A La Nuit
    Lancome Jasmins Marzipane
    Montale Jasmin Full

Dusita Splendiris
    Frederic Malle Le Parfum de Therese
    Jo Malone Violet & Amber Absolu
    La Curie Ossuary
    Parfume d'Empire Equistrius
    Serge Lutens Bois de Violette
    Sixteen92 Mellifera

Can’t wait to try them!! Again thanks for all your help and if there are any other recommendations please let me know

Blog Entries

Some great choices there! Please do report back on your findings.

Ok will do! Also forgot I ordered these samples as well-

Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Robert Piguet Fracas EDP
    Serge Lutens Tubereuse Criminelle

Should give me a perfume a day to test out🤓

Take a look at Rogue Perfumery. Definitely worth ordering a set of samples for the initial experience.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2021 HERE:https://www.basenotes.net/threads/48...d-Fridays-2021

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Ok great I’ll check it out thanks!

If having access to more sampling possibilities not just on budget but also available to get, also adding Portrait of Lady among the Frederic Malle options worth (re) testing